How do we half Toon half real

Started by WILLIAM-BOYCE, June 26, 2013, 11:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILLIAM-BOYCE

I have seen some really nice shots with a part that's half toon and half real. How is this done? would really like to know. Please and thank you  :)

NDenekamp

I think the easiest way is to import you model, then make a duplicate of it. turn off the duplicate and apply the realistic materials to your model. then switch off that model and reveal the duplicate. Apply toon shaders to this model. Render out two passes, one with toon and one with realistic. Combine them in an image editing application by applying a gradient mask.

If there's an easier / other way, I'd love to hear some other workflows!

If you want your toon render to look similar in colour, you might apply normal materials first, then duplicate the model, go through the materials and switch the shader to toon. I'm assuming it would leave the main colour chip as per the realistic material?

N

WILLIAM-BOYCE

Great thank you! I have no idea what I am doing in PS but managed to get this out of it.

NDenekamp

That great for a first go! good transition, nice an subtle.

Nice vent too!  ;)

WILLIAM-BOYCE

started fresh with a clear head this morning much better I think.

guest84672

fario

...  :-[

Quoteapplying a gradient mask.

how are we doing? please

Josh3D

Yes William, that looks great!!

Josh

WILLIAM-BOYCE

Thank you.
One more. ;D

WILLIAM-BOYCE

For some reason it keeps cutting of how I did it so here is a clip hope this helps some.I am using the new PScc.

fario

Despot

Nice renders, if you use a gradient instead though, you can control how harsh/gentle the transition is...

J

WILLIAM-BOYCE

Quote from: The Metal Master on June 27, 2013, 09:51:56 AM
Nice renders, if you use a gradient instead though, you can control how harsh/gentle the transition is...

J

Thank you. Love your work on here btw. I have no idea how to use PS just kinda figuring it out. If you could please enplane how to use that tool would love to know how.

fario

:o :) ;)

merci merci merci for the link!!!