Toon to real fade directly in KeyShot

Started by NDenekamp, June 27, 2013, 05:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDenekamp

Just curious what would happen.. So I duplicated the model, scaled it a fraction, tooned it, and applied an opacity map to the toon material.

plbb

Quote from: Niels Denekamp on June 27, 2013, 05:21:15 PM
Just curious what would happen.. So I duplicated the model, scaled it a fraction, tooned it, and applied an opacity map to the toon material.
Nice result~

Ed

Niels - You're a one-man material factory.  KS will need to create a tab with your name on it.

Ed

Speedster

Hmmm...  So what would happen if one of the models had different colored lines?
Bill G

Despot

Great minds think alike  ;) I did this before I started doing it in Photoshop, but found issues with map tiling... it only seemed to work in Planar X,Y,Z modes...

For me it's better to do it in post as you have control over blend harshness etc

But I'm thinking if there was a preset procedural gradient that was editable in KS that you plug into the opacity slot, now that would be good, it means you could change the amount of 'blend' on the fly.

J

NDenekamp

Quote from: Speedster on June 27, 2013, 06:53:56 PM
Hmmm...  So what would happen if one of the models had different colored lines?
Bill G

This:

NDenekamp

Metal Master, You're right. Perhaps if you have a gradient that is 100% for a while, then fades to white, and continues as white for a while, you get more control over where and how the fade happens.

I guess for still this might be easier in photoshop but this may be useful for animation!

I'd like to share the .bip, for anyone to have a look. You can see that it clears up live with toon and all applied.

You can find the .bif file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/75if0h5q9pba851/Bearing%20toon%20fade.bip

N

Despot

Exactly Niels, that's correct, if there was a gradient 'editor', you could engineer the gradient to be just like that

J

mafrieger

Since this  a pretty old thread thinking about working with a 3 years old version of Keyshot,
the question is:

=> How would one do the same thing (fade toon material to  real material) with the Keyshot of today (6.x)?
Would it be much easier?

e.g. with no need for an additional scaled copy of the geometry -simply by using material graph in a special way?
How would this new way look like in details?

Will Gibbons

It's totally possible using the material graph.

1. Apply toon as a label to a material you wish to fade.
2. Add procedural color gradient to toon's opacity channel.
3. Dial in properties of each of the above nodes.
4. Copy and paste those two nodes into each material you wish to apply this effect to.
5. Tweak to taste.

I've attached a screenshot showing the results as well as proof that there's only one model. I can't redistribute this model otherwise I'd share the KSP. Also attached are the screenshots showing the 3 materials used on this model.

Very simple.

mafrieger

awesome! special thanks for providing all theses details!!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Despot on June 28, 2013, 06:27:50 AM
But I'm thinking if there was a preset procedural gradient that was editable in KS that you plug into the opacity slot, now that would be good, it means you could change the amount of 'blend' on the fly.
Ha, I didn't realise the date and was all confused. How could you not know about the gradient texture in the material graph, John?!  ;D

Great explanation, Will!

Josh3D

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 22, 2016, 11:43:03 PM
Quote from: Despot on June 28, 2013, 06:27:50 AM
Ha, I didn't realise the date and was all confused. How could you not know about the gradient texture in the material graph, John?!  ;D

Great explanation, Will!

Thanks, I did the same thing actually. The recent comment made me think it was a new thread. haha