TOON MATERIAL FOR PATENT FIGURES!!!

Started by DriesV, June 28, 2013, 07:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

HOLY COW!

Today I made several drawings for a new patent application.
Instead of going the SolidWorks/Illustrator route, I gave the Toon material in KS4.1 a shot. Boy, oh boy, does it look nice!!
Yesterday's webinar delivered the necessary epiphany... ;) I realized that the wood procedural (as diffuse texture on Toon) could be tweaked to mimic straight-line hatching.

It's a pity I can't share the images I made, but for anyone involved in patent work: please do give the combo Toon + procedural textures a try. You'll be blown away!

Dries

guest84672

That is awesome. Any pushback from the Illustrator guys yet?

PhilippeV8

Shame it doesn't output as vector files ... Else I could (finaly) drop the 3D Via software ...  2D line drawings HAVE to be vector ai files over at our company.

DriesV

I grabbed something from grabcad and quickly turned it into patent graphics.
Does this sort of make my case stronger? ;)

Pure KeyShot.

Dries

DriesV

Also very cool in situations where color is permitted.

Dries

DriesV

Quote from: Thomas Teger on June 28, 2013, 09:35:58 AM
That is awesome. Any pushback from the Illustrator guys yet?

My strategy for now is to rub output straight from KeyShot into their faces until they succumb. :D
I have to admit that the vector fortress is quite strong though...

Dries

Ed

Dries - Nice work on the hatch effect.

I'm beginning to think the toon material will get used a lot.

Makes me wonder what it may lead to further.  KS layer to type in text legends and arrows?  Automatic vector trace/output?

Ed

NDenekamp

Dries, would you be better off using marble for the hatches? Wood is concentric marble planar..  Maybe make materials for each e.g. X 45, X -45, Y 45, Y -45, etc..

Looks very good though, very crisp as well! I wonder what would happen if you would take it into illustrator and use it as a basis to create vector lines!

N

DriesV

Quote from: Niels Denekamp on June 28, 2013, 12:43:36 PM
Dries, would you be better off using marble for the hatches? Wood is concentric marble planar..  Maybe make materials for each e.g. X 45, X -45, Y 45, Y -45, etc..

Looks very good though, very crisp as well! I wonder what would happen if you would take it into illustrator and use it as a basis to create vector lines!

N

Great suggestion. Niels!

I hadn't looked any further than wood. Wood works great though if you use the mapping tool to rotate the mapping 90 degrees. Does away with the concentrism. Besides, you only apply hatches to planar faces.

Dries

NDenekamp

Dries, true! but only if the axis is in the same plane as that surface, right?

I did a quick test to create hatching going diagonally one way, and the other, depending on the orientation of the surface. On the left with marble, on the right with wood. Basicaly the entire hatches surface is a single material. you can see the concentric nature paying up in the right one a little. I did find you get sharper lines from the wood, the marble shows more of a gradient.

N

Speedster

I have only one patent attorney I work with that requires vectors.  All the others, including the internal for a major medical device firm, just use jpeg's, which I create as TIFF's first in SolidWorks.  But I've heard you can convert raster to vector in Photoshop.  I just searched, and found this link-  may help.  http://www.ehow.com/how_5130774_convert-vector-photoshop.html   

My clients are excited about toons, as they open up a whole new world in communication.  And what's amazing is how many of us are coming up with uses we would never have dreamed of last week. 

Bill G

guest84672

Robb63

I took your CAD drawing and ran through "Live Trace" in Illustrator. Not too bad, there are tons of settings in there and with more tweaking it could probably nail it.

PhilippeV8

I want to see Live Trace nail it ...  ;) :o

DriesV

We are just filing our first patent using 100% UNEDITED Toon output! ;)

Thanks, KeyShot... ;D

Dries