Porsche 987.1 Cayman S

Started by yotah1, July 02, 2013, 02:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yotah1

Not yet what you'd call "amazing shots"  ;D

1 day of modeling so far. I will model the entire car, exterior and interior. The goal is to just see how it looks with the parts I want to put on my future Cayman, before I buy it, because it's much cheaper this way :D

4 quick renders done last night, just to check the volumes, proportions and all. I'll try to finish the body today and the lamps, then off to the interior.

The GT3 RS wing looks cool I think, but I'm not sure about its position. Currently it's set back a lot as I wanted to keep it out of the way in order to be able to open the trunk without touching, with the wing being bolted to the chassis. I think in the end I won't have a choice and the wing will have to be fixed to the trunk.

Speedster

You have the most amazing eye for line and form- always a joy to see your work.  Does it really need the wing?  I'm not an aerodynamics engineer, so I really don't know,  but I've always felt wings look like bolt-on regardless of where they are located.  Of course I harken back to the great Italian designs of the 50's and 60's, long before wings.  But those cars sure stuck to the road!
Bill G

jhiker

With a big-ass spoiler like that you really need flames down the side...

Looks better without, in my humble opinion.
Of course, I'm envious - I'll take it with or without..   ;)

guest84672

Yeah, the whale tale is too much IMHO. I absolutely love the Cayman S - used to have the first generation for almost 4 years. Best car I've ever owned.

yotah1

I've been in one this weekend and at high speeds, it would benefit from having the front splitter and the rear wing. The extra downforce is never a bad thing, even though the car is really well balanced already without them. I think in the end, I'll set it up more above the trunk rather than so far back, should make it look better.

I've worked a bit on the rest of the model this afternoon. Taking a break now, I'll get back onto it tonight with the last shutlines, Porsche emblem on the bonnet, door handles, and lamp details.

Then later in the week, I'll have to start the interior (quite a lot of work in there, even though Porsche was nice enough to keep the design simple :D) I'm glad this is not a Hyundai!!!

Speedster

So what if the wing brackets were a pair of  sculptural solids, evolving out of the fastback?  They could be carbon fibre for weight, and would not look like CNC billet work.  Just a thought!
Bill G

yotah1

Damn pain in the ...

I've finally done the mirror  ;D

yotah1

Door handle and Recaros are done.

yotah1

Quick render with the stitching modelled (yes, modelled! Because Alias doesn't allow unwrapping, so you can't just texture it...)

TpwUK

Yeah, but it don't half look better for it! - Model everything - KS can take it!

Martin

yotah1

Keyshot shouldn't be a problem but my iMac might start having a bit of a struggle when I'll load everything together, especially with all the interior bits and pieces, and all the exterior details that I haven't done yet.

Here's for tonight : door openings are done, seats are positioned pretty much like the original seats. Tomorrow I should be able to get cracking on the main interior carpet and trunk volumes.

yotah1

Work continues and nights go by   ;D

yotah1

Reworked the rear wing and its supports.