OBJ Export and Import

Started by multitech, June 18, 2015, 06:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multitech

Hi Guys,

I tried to export an OBJ model for the first time and noticed when you re-import it back into Keyshot, the materials are no longer the same.  I'm trying to figure out how this works in case a client sends an .obj file and a .mtl file.  So why do the materials import back in so differently?

Mike  8)

KeyShot

.obj files does not allow for an accurate representation of KeyShot materials. It is really only useful for the geometry.

Speedster

You won't need the .mtl file with an OBJ import.  They usually import all blue, but if the model was prepared properly all the parts/surfaces will be separated.  I use SimLab to convert my SolidWorks models into .obj (not for KeyShot use), and the UV mapping carries forward.

A good trick is to start a special folder in your materials library just for your client, and if necessary add sub-folders for the client's projects.  Then just build that library up using Save to Folder, for later use.  Always remember that materials often look different in various HDR lighting scenarios.  So I usually have a client sub-folder for the preferred HDRs for various uses.

Bill G