importing .max files???

Started by edwardo, July 05, 2013, 09:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

Hello, does Keyshot import .MAX files (i think I already know the answer is no)? Or, does anyone know of any work around to be able to import .MAX files (I dont have 3DSmax). I have a wealth of .max files such as furniture and props that I would love to be able to use in keyshot scenes.

Thanksyou
Ed

TpwUK

Best get the free 30 day trial then and the export from max as OBJ or FBX

Martin

edwardo

Thanks for the tip Martin. Unfortunately im on a Mac, and my patience doesn't tolerate windows so well. Iv got windows 7 32 bit on bootcamp, so I might give it a go.

Cheers
Ed

TpwUK

KS runs better on the Mac too ... Now I have decided on my toolset i am pretty much set to go back to the mountain lion

edwardo

A good move in general i think (money permitting). 3dsmax is now about the only 3d program thats not yet on mac. But other than that im struggling for reasons to use windows. For nurbs macs got alias running pretty sweet and soon will have Rhino5 in full, for sculpting mud box and zbrush work sweet, modo and cinema 4d for sub-D, maxwell and the mighty Keyshot for rendering, and Maya for... well, everything and anything if you can drive it. Youd be amazed how well my old laptop (duocore intel, 2gig ram) runs everything (struggles with polysculpting over 1.000.000 or so in mudbox).

TpwUK

MoI3D is ported to the Mac too, quick and clean NURBS modeller - easier than Rhino to master and requires very little in hardware as it's 32bit

Martin

guest84672

We offer a free plugin for 3DSMax: www.keyshot.com/plugins.

It is Windows only, though.

Arn

Quote from: thomasteger on July 07, 2013, 07:29:39 AM
We offer a free plugin for 3DSMax: www.keyshot.com/plugins.

It is Windows only, though.
Do I understand correctly that you still need 3DSMax to import .max files in Keyshot?

TpwUK

3DStudio Max is a Windows only app, the plugin as far as i know gives Max the ability to write BIP scenes and does not allow you to import Max into KeyShot.

The *.max files produced by 3DS Max are proprietary and only readable by itself

Martin

Arn

That's unfortunate, there seem to be a lot of resources around for it. What about .aco files? Is there some way to import those?

TpwUK

FBX is pretty much the way to go unless you want to try the Maya route. Version 6 of KS will have far greater support for Maya and OS X

Martin