easier way to move 'objects', specifically phsyical lights out of frame

Started by em3d, July 10, 2013, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Metal Master:

QuoteI'm not some young whippersnapper you know, Im old (48) and set in my ways...

No offense taken.  For whatever its worth, I'm 66, and have been a self-employed product designer, prototype modelmaker, toolmaker and plastic injection molder for 40 years this year, but almost 50 in my profession.  Including little projects like the model of the Polaroid SX-70 color camera, Pacemaker, etc.  Four years of photography in college, but with no regret I just sold may favorite 4x5!  I have focused entirely on product design, mostly medical device, using SolidWorks, since 2001, and Industrial Design and CG since 2008. Two time winner of the SolidWorks International Design Competition and a SolidWorks presenter, my work has been featured in five magazine articles, with three as cover stories, including ASME's Mechanical Engineering and Desktop Engineering, and was one of the earliest adopters of KeyShot, back to when it was under another company.  Also a Diamond Level artist on TurboSquid.  I also use Modo (sort of).

I apologize for tooting my own horn (which I seldom do), but you asked.  I am most definitely not set in my ways, as every day I learn something new and valuable, often from this Forum.  Also, I believe that Thomas is listed as co-inventor of KeyShot, but he can toot his own horn if he wishes.  I know him as one of the sharpest guys in the CG industry.

But this is not a pissing contest!  You raise a valuable idea that may be well received, especially now that KeyShot is being adopted as the render-of-choice by many CG studios and leading design houses, and across multiple platforms and genre.  I for one would find it most useful in rigging a lighting setup, especially if it was linked to HDR Light Studio, which I use constantly, augmented by HDR Edit.  Like a "Preview Window" that you could pop up when needed.

But it's just not a high priority for me.  With KeyShot I can now do in minutes what takes hours in other dedicated or internal rendering apps, and frankly, with better results.

But it's also feedback and input from professional users such as you and I, and the other Forum members, that has guided and helped elevate KeyShot into the preeminence it now enjoys. And I rank your work right up there among the best!

Last thought, sort of added to yours-  I'd love to see the move widget stick itself in the middle of the viewport, and allow zoom etc. without it going off-screen.

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

Despot

QuoteNo offense taken.  For whatever its worth, I'm 66, and have been a self-employed product designer, prototype modelmaker, toolmaker and plastic injection molder for 40 years this year, but almost 50 in my profession.  Including little projects like the model of the Polaroid SX-70 color camera, Pacemaker, etc.  Four years of photography in college, but with no regret I just sold may favorite 4x5!  I have focused entirely on product design, mostly medical device, using SolidWorks, since 2001, and Industrial Design and CG since 2008. Two time winner of the SolidWorks International Design Competition and a SolidWorks presenter, my work has been featured in five magazine articles, with three as cover stories, including ASME's Mechanical Engineering and Desktop Engineering, and was one of the earliest adopters of KeyShot, back to when it was under another company.  Also a Diamond Level artist on TurboSquid.  I also use Modo (sort of).

Wow... you have been and still are a busy guy by the sounds of it - had no idea you were 66 !! how about that... I own a Modo license as well, use it mostly for building HDRI stages.

QuoteI apologize for tooting my own horn (which I seldom do), but you asked.  I am most definitely not set in my ways, as every day I learn something new and valuable, often from this Forum.  Also, I believe that Thomas is listed as co-inventor of KeyShot, but he can toot his own horn if he wishes.  I know him as one of the sharpest guys in the CG industry.

Toot as loud as you can, that's my motto, because it's a rare occasion when it gets tooted for you !! you're correct about this forum, it can be a source of interesting titbits of knowledge and inspiration (in fact, looking at your website  has inspired me this morning  ;) ) As for Thomas, he's a nice guy, never knew he co-invented KeyShot though, that is news to me. I always thought he was in his 20's for some reason, until I saw his grizzled mug on a photo  ;)

QuoteBut this is not a pissing contest!  You raise a valuable idea that may be well received, especially now that KeyShot is being adopted as the render-of-choice by many CG studios and leading design houses, and across multiple platforms and genre.  I for one would find it most useful in rigging a lighting setup, especially if it was linked to HDR Light Studio, which I use constantly, augmented by HDR Edit.  Like a "Preview Window" that you could pop up when needed.

Now that sounds handy, and again you've hit the nail on the head concerning KeyShot's exposure in different CG sectors... When I first started using it (2010) it seemed to be the choice renderer of CAD users, but it has definitely broken free of those shackles...

And yet again you're right about KS's speed an agility when it comes to rendering, it has no real competitors to be honest...

QuoteBut it's also feedback and input from professional users such as you and I, and the other Forum members, that has guided and helped elevate KeyShot into the preeminence it now enjoys. And I rank your work right up there among the best!

I'm lost for words really, that's such a wonderfully uplifting, kind thing to hear Bill, thank you... I, myself have learned oodles from fellow forum members, especially in the CAD disciplines which I had little or no knowledge of before.

QuoteLast thought, sort of added to yours-  I'd love to see the move widget stick itself in the middle of the viewport, and allow zoom etc. without it going off-screen.

Now that is one of my dreams when it comes to KeyShot

J

Speedster

Hey, em3d, I want to apologize, and I'm sure I speak for Metal Master, for hijacking your thread! 

We all agree that moves and views need to be easier and more intuitive.  As is, almost all translation and rotation sliders are just to coarse for precision control.  And keeping widgets on the screen regardless of zoom is really critical with larger assemblies.

Bill G

Ed

"... almost all translation and rotation sliders are just to coarse for precision control.  And keeping widgets on the screen regardless of zoom is really critical with larger assemblies."

I agree.  I often have the widget go partially or completely off screen and wish there was a shortcut to center it on screen.

The widget is good for rough adjustments and I then use the position/rotation fields to fine tune.  But rotation fields jump in 45 degree increments, and the other fields are sometimes too course (I use the mouse wheel to scroll the numeric fields).   I'd like to see an option to hold down a key (while scrolling the numeric fields) to decrease sensitivity by a factor of 10.

There are cases where high positioning precision is required.  For example, when rotating a diamond ring, there is usually a very narrow "sweet spot" where the lighting makes the diamond come alive.  Very hard to do using just the widget.

Ed

Gerard_Mike

A cool way would be the option to target lights to a specific object and have a shortcut option to move them around, it's absurd to zoom out the scene to move the light an inch, because 99% of the time you want to check the impact on your model without moving it out of place.

fivewingangel