Toon Output not matching Preview

Started by JonWelch, July 12, 2013, 07:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonWelch

Long time Keyshot user here. as my first post I must first say, this is by far my favorite program. It has been fantastic for me.

Anyways, I haven't used the Toon material very much since the release, and I am now trying create some line drawings for a client of ours and one thing I cannot seem to fix is the fact that my Render output is noticeably less thicker in line weight than what my Preview is showing. If anyone has any tips or advice on this, I'd be most grateful. Take a look at the attached to see the comparison

Also I just added the settings of my toon material, in case this is a cause.

Thanks for your help!

Robb63

have tried rendering using max time instead of the default render mode?

JonWelch

I have been using 10 minute max time settings. Just to get a quick look. It just seems like the Contour Width is always significantly lower than the preview. Unless I need to go into advanced settings, and mess with samples and Aliasing perhaps. I have had a few renders over time with Keyshot that will produce some different results by switching from Time to Advanced render settings. Thanks for the tip though, I'll try some out.

guest84672

Advanced render settings use a different algorithm. This explains why results may be slightly different. For the toon material, you certainly don't need 10min in realtime. A few seconds will be enough.

JonWelch

okay thanks, I really wasn't sure because the image is around 6k by 3k in resolution. Like I said still getting the hang of the Toon. Although I should've realized its basically like rendering with Flat materials which take no time at all. Thanks

guest84672

Except that you have the option to turn on environment shadows under the advanced settings of the material.

richardfunnell

Keep in mind that when you specify the line weight in pixels, the contour width will stay the same no matter what your render output is.
If you want to have thicker lines with a higher resolution rendering, you have to increase the contour width.

For example, a thickness of 1 pixel at 72 (screen) DPI will not be thick enough when rendered at 300 DPI.

In the example below, all the images were rendered with a contour width of 1px. When it's rendered at a higher resolution, the line is "less thick", but still exactly 1 pixel and technically correct.

JonWelch

oh wow! I did not know that. That is helpful! Thanks a lot, that basically answers my questions.

Speedster