'Move' tool misbehaving for me....

Started by jhiker, July 17, 2013, 02:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

I'm using the latest version of Keyshot.

Is the 'Move' tool working properly?

When I click on a sub-assembly in the scene tree and select the 'Move' tool dragging on the green arrow (up & down) makes the sub-assembly move left & right (in the direction of the blue arrow) - very weird.
I mentioned it some time ago and never had a proper explanation.

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,4484.msg18984.html#msg18984

I'm using Alibre/GeoMagic (latest version) to generate my *.bip file - could that be relevant?
Ignore the blurred square - that's deliberate.

TpwUK

Reads like you need to adjust the UP option on import. If you re-import it in then set it to Z=UP or you can use move to rotate the model

Martin

jhiker

So, if I want it right I have to 'import' rather than 'open' the *.bip file - that right?

PhilippeV8

No, there is something wrong.

I have this 2, tho not on the latest KS release.  But the issue sounds the same.

If I select the assembly and move, it works fine.  If I select sometimes a sub assembly, it moves the wrong direction and very, very "slow".  Also sometimes if I select an assembly and from another assembly a sub-part and want to move the both of them, they don't move at the same "speed" or "distance".  As if the scale is different on both.

TpwUK

Ooops me bad ... Didn't absorb all info regarding BIP ... Sounds like you should have a setting in the BIP exporter that should dictate the UP axis, I don't know if Alibre provides that though - Sorry

Martin

jhiker

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on July 17, 2013, 03:59:20 AM
No, there is something wrong.

I have this 2, tho not on the latest KS release.  But the issue sounds the same.

If I select the assembly and move, it works fine.  If I select sometimes a sub assembly, it moves the wrong direction and very, very "slow".  Also sometimes if I select an assembly and from another assembly a sub-part and want to move the both of them, they don't move at the same "speed" or "distance".  As if the scale is different on both.

There's something weird going on - whether it's my CAD or whether it's Keyshot I just can't tell.
Opened the file again clicked on the part in the scene tree - same as before - try to move it for & aft and it moves up & down.
Clicked on the part in the actual scene window right-clicked 'move' and the damn thing flipped round 90 degrees without any input - then I could translate it in the direction I wanted to.

guest84672

Difficult to tell what is going on. Can you provide the example file so we can take a look?

maymay

I had this happen to me yesterday too. Some parts will move correctly and some won't. It's not an up axis orientation issue (although that may be part of the technical issue). Rotate will act weird as well in this case.

maymay

Here's a file with the error. If you try to move Sub Assy 2, you'll get the problem. Also the triad is way out in space and I'm pretty sure the document's original coordinate system isn't way off center like that. KS 4.1.35.

Edit: I downloaded my file to make sure it was still doing this and it is but the triad isn't way off center anymore. The green axis works correctly, but the red and blue axes are reversed. Try to move the blue axis and it moves in the red direction and vice versa.

jhiker

Quote from: Thomas Teger on July 17, 2013, 06:54:29 AM
Difficult to tell what is going on. Can you provide the example file so we can take a look?
Hi Thomas,
Thank you. I sent the *.bip to support@luxion.com via 'Wetransfer'.
If you don't see the same behaviour immediately open/close the file a couple of times. Mine is still misbehaving.
Many thanks,
Jeff

Bruno F

Hello, you can try to move the top assembly level first (just nudge), then move the subassembly.

maymay

Bruno, thanks, that does fix it for whatever reason. Temporary work around.