Match background image - like Bonzai 3D and FormZ

Started by quigley, July 17, 2010, 02:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

that looks great, I thought the moofe cube was a good idea, but this looks 10x better

guest84672

The only thing that is a bit sketchy is the "blend" - and how the geometry is placed correctly "automagically". If is was so "auto-magic" then why not show the whole process how it really works.

Thomas

quigley

The Bonzai 3D match perspective is basically the same as the one used in FormZ - with knobs on. FormZ have had this for probably 10 years? I've used the FormZ one a lot and it works well. I've used the Bonzai one very briefly (at a trade show) and that seemed more fluid than FormZ. I'm not buying Bonzai because all that stuff is coming to FormZ 7 (and I'm a FormZ user) but as usual Auto-des-sys are taking their time releasing FormZ (I mean 6.5 releases in 20 years! Nearly as bad as Quark!).

But to be honest every rendering software should have this! Setting cameras to a background is a PIA in most systems - this just makes it easier. It might not be perfect but it will get you to 95% there. Render with an alpha and Photoshop Free transform does the rest....

Robb63

Rhino has had this for years, but to be honest I almost never use it as it doesn't work as well in reality as it does in the demos I've seen.
They (Bonzai 3D) are matching the data to a photograph of the same structure (shapes). I almost never do this; I'm usually matching a product into a room so there aren't these perfect reference points to click on.

If this did work it would be an amazing tool, but so far in my experience that isn't the case.