Ben Franklin Printing Press

Started by Speedster, July 22, 2013, 10:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Finally finished my museum reconstruction of the "Ben Franklin Printing Press" in the Smithsonian Institution.  He reportedly used it in 1726, as an apprentice in the printing house of John Watts, in London. 

Known as an "English Common Press", it remained virtually unchanged until the advent of the Ramage Press and later cast-iron versions in the early 1800's.  This is the type of printing press on which the Declaration of Independence and other "treasonous" documents were printed and disseminated to the public under the newly voiced concept of Freedom of the Press as guaranteed under the First Amendment of our Constitution.  The "type" and proof-print for this model is set for the "Summary View", penned by Thomas Jefferson, and considered by most scholars as the 2nd most important document in American history.

Modeled in SolidWorks.  2,034,941 polys.

Comments welcome as always!  Also, this is actually the center-piece for a much larger model still in progress...

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

TpwUK

It looks really good, I hope to see more of it

Martin

EGON

To me the lighting looks flat. Needs more blacks. I would light it with a spotlight or a grid spot or both if I was really photographing it. Have a point of view in each shot. Hope this helps.

Speedster

I totally agree, Egon.  I'm still working out the kinks in the oak, which looks especially flat, and there's just no depth of black.  These are from the TurboSquid renders, which they want to be descriptive of the model, and not the mood or meaning of the subject.  I think what's going to really help is the physical environment I'm working on, which will cast a lot of shadows as well as have primarily specialty lighting as from candles and such, with some fills.  Thanks for the comments well taken!
Bill G

guest84672