Huge render time, help ! x)

Started by Tetsuoo, July 25, 2013, 04:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetsuoo

Just look at this. It's rendering right now, the picture says it all. At this point, ANY advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks ! ^_^;

guest84672

Tetsuoo

It's still rendering at the moment, at this point it's going for 10 hours lol (17% -> 1h45 / 29% -> 2h51 etc)
I think the settings are something like :
Samples 96
GI 2.5
Ray bounces 6
Pix filtering 1.5
AA 1
Shadows 5
Caustics... 20 x)

If i don't use caustics I won't have the cornea refraction (using Dielectric mat with a single faced mesh). I pushed it at 20 to avoid grains effect, it's overkill obviously ! But i'm not sure if there is other good method I should be aware of

The mesh for the face was decimated within Zbrush to make it lighter but i don't think that makes a difference for render times... Just lighter for navigating in the viewport.
Ah, also i checked Sharp Shadows and Sharper Texture Filtering

guest84672

Making the mesh lighter has no effect. Your settings are very high, in particular the caustic settings. That will increase your render time significantly. I don't think that you need caustics for this example.

Tetsuoo

Thanks for replying so fast :)
I will make a render without caustics and show the results

guest84672

Also set GI quality to 1, and maybe set Samples to 32.

Tetsuoo

omg just found out that ray bounces was at 64 xD I'm such a fool sometimes.
AND refraction is working without caustics. Maybe i should sleep a little more... x)

edwardo

Try taking caustics off and putting ray bounces up a few. As I understand caustics are about the focusing (or scattering) of light as it exits a transparent body - Idont think this is happening in your scene....? However I may be talking pap, I haven't used caustics as I don't believe I have the computational power to use it..... Just chokes up my machine.

Tetsuoo

Ok now rendering. I can say the truth now, in fact I was trying to win some Stupid Render Settings Contest :D
Here, 5 times faster, so far so good :

Render settings :
Samples 32
GI 1
Ray bounces 16 (still too much maybe ?)
Pix filtering 1.5
AA 1
Shadows 5

Happy ! Thanks guys for your kind support :D

Edit: Come to think of it, I should have disabled the skin bump because it's not working at all. I will try to sculpt the skin detail in Zbrush :)

Tetsuoo

Rex

Do you have "Sharper texture filtering" enabled? That should help the eyebrows from pixelating. Default RB setting of 6 should be just fine for an image like this.