The First Ammendment, with physical lights

Started by Speedster, July 29, 2013, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

It's always hard for me to place my weird old stuff in context.  So for my Franklin Printing Press I decided on a museum exhibit design, typical of what would be used for a presentation.  But the real reason was to work a bit on my KeyShot skills now that we have so many toys to play with, focusing here on Physical Lights.  I'll do IES next, in the same model.

Oh ya- I also wanted to "play politics" a bit!

So- it's lit entirely with physical lights (lamps, as they are correctly called in theatre and exhibit work) and Area Diffuse Lighting.  I did use the Startup HDR at 0.11 brightness just to bring out form.  There are soffit lights inside and above the portrait recesses, as well as under the top edge of the display cases.  Also a long cyc light behind each side wall, casting a very soft glow or wash across the rear wall.

But I also tried out a concept I've had for awhile- using correctly modeled lamps, not just ground planes, and placing them into the SolidWorks assembly according to a lighting plot.  I was a set and lighting designer in college and professionally for several years, back when we used cardboard mockups and pen lights taped to sticks! And way before computers! These lamps have only a simple "square funnel" shaped "barn doors".  My new ones have two sizes and angles of barn doors and a snoot, all as separate bodies, so I can pick and choose later in KeyShot.  There are six configuration, each mapped (for the light source) a different color for later separation in KS.  I also used a soft box.

The main advantage to using native CAD lamps is that you have a starting point against a plot, and they are very easy to tweak in KS without the hassle of importing ground planes and shoving them around to work for your scene. You can duplicate them if needed.  Also, they are familiar, so you have a better sense of intent and effect.  I used an axis to help point them in the SolidWorks model.

And the kicker is that the barn doors really work! See the comparison image below.  And I discovered a neat trick- Obviously, many lamps will be in the field of view, and KeyShot has allowed for this with the "make invisible to camera" checkbox.  But, when you have a solid body representing the lamp housing, if you hide or show it the effect will also be hidden or shown.  But, if you apply an Area Diffuse Light to the housing, and set the color to black, or the intensity to zero, you can now hide the barn doors, for example, yet still retain their effect.

Anyway, Physical Light is a most powerful tool!  Play with it as much as possible!

Bill G

DriesV

QuoteBut, if you apply an Area Diffuse Light to the housing, and set the color to black, or the intensity to zero, you can now hide the barn doors, for example, yet still retain their effect.

Congratulations, best trick I picked up in a while! :)

Dries

feher

You da man Bill. Glad to see you playing with the lights. .Looking good so far. Keep playing and pushing it.
Great idea on how display this beautiful model.
Can't wait to see more.
Tim

Ruckus

As a history buff myself, I like really like where this is going.

On the other hand, the first thing I notice is the floor.  I doubt that was intended.  Just throwing my 2 cents out there, where Ben would have been wise enough to save that.

Josh3D

Speedster

Quotethe first thing I notice is the floor

I agree about the floor, and appreciate the comment.  I used the square marble tile common in many older museums (you know how they are- "A penny saved..."), but actually, a stained concrete would also be appropriate.  If it was a long term or permanent installation the curator and designers would likely lay a new floor more in keeping with the theme.

So here I went with wood, which of course drove my change in color palette. I rather like the new theme! I also plan to add tri-panel descriptive kiosks, display cases, artifacts and stuff.  I was not planning to carry it that far, but this is an interesting design and rendering challenge, and will be a valuable addition to my portfolio.

I really love the shadow quality cast by physical lights, especially with my frosted glass reference figure!

Being a fellow history buff, I hope you've visited my website at www.GouldStudios.com!

Bill G

DriesV

Wow! Those are great improvements, Bill!

Dries

guest84672

Speedster

QuoteWow! Those are great improvements, Bill!

Thanks, Dries! This is a fun break from medical devices, I must say!  After what I learned from your excellent webinar today (07/30/13) I'll have to do a "walk through" animation when it's all finished.

Bill G

Speedster

Another shot.  Starting to like this puppy!  By the way, there's a reason it was the First Amendment...
Bill G

Ruckus

Much improved!

I like the glass reference figure, the shadow really makes it look like it belongs there rather than just a piece of added clip art.  It also gives the scene scale and a more inviting feel than just an empty display, but does not distract your eye.

I enjoyed your website too!