Can't find my 4.1 million pixels

Started by raven, July 09, 2010, 02:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raven

Has anyone successfully render an image even close to 4.1MP?

Whenever I attempt to size the render greater than 1600 x 1200 it auto-sizes it to a much smaller render.

What am I doing wrong......can't get past 2.1MP....what is up with dat.

I plan to upgrade next week to V2, i think.  Does V2 have the lost pixels?

~raven
V1.9x

Speedster

I have a number that are in the 4 million range.  The attached screenshot is for a 4,317,826 poly Wright airplane engine, imported as a 719 MB OBJ file. that I had created with SimLab from my SolidWorks model.

Now, at least on my 8 cpu box, it runs great in KeyShot2, but ran fine on KeyShot 1.954 as well.  I have 4 GB of RAM, so this model is very sluggish in SolidWorks.  I'm getting an upgrade to 16 GB soon.

FYI: I converted the SW model into an .obj, using SimLab Composer- great app!  www.SimLab-Soft.com

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

Speedster

Sorry!  I forgot the question!  I often render 6000 x 10,000 pixels  with no problem.  On 8 cpu's they usually take about 8-12 hours.  I've never had it resize as you describe.  I'm a bit puzzled too!
Bill G

raven

It appears you are using KeyShot Pro V2 with unlimited output render resolution. I am using KeyShot V1.9 and the tech specs state it has a output render resolution of 4.1MP.

BTW that is a beautiful engine model.

~raven

guest84672

There is a bug that resets this to a smaller number when you exceed the resolution limit. You can still get the full 4.1 MP resolution by manually entering the values. MAke sure not to exceed the limits. I have posted a formula on the forum - need to find this ...

Speedster

Hi Thomas and Raven-

I found the formula that Thomas posted some time back.  very helpful! 

- Set up your shot in real time, using the desired aspect ratio.
- Aspect ratio (AR) is calculated using "Width of the image" / "Height of the image".
- The maximum render size for KeyShot / KeyShot for Education is 4.1 megapixel.
- The maximum width under the given aspect ratio is calculated as follows: Width = SQRT (4.1 megapixels * AR) (SQRT = Square Root)
- Height = Width/AR

I always set my images to an aspect ratio to simplify composition, then render it for 300 dpi.  So a 16" x 20" print size is set at 1:1.25 AR, and rendered at 4800 x 6000.  The jpeg imports into Photoshop at 72 dpi by default, so just uncheck "resample" and overwrite the 72 with 300.

Raven, thanks for the kind comment on my engine- it was a workout!  I was using it to test KS2 as to running a really large model.  The .obj is 719 MB.  KS2 runs it very well, I must say!

I've posted a number of my projects on TurboSquid, under GouldStudios.

Bill G

raven

I need clarification on what actually this maximum 4.1MP really is please.

Is not the 4.1MP image size calculated by; length x width = # pixels
This is how my photo editor calculates image size.

KeyShot will only allow a image size of 1600 x 1000 or 1.6MP.  Is this not correct?
1600 x 1000 will only produce a print size of about 5" x 3" at 300dpi.

Is this the best I can achieve with KeyShot?

~raven

guest84672

I thought Bill and I just explained what is going on, and how to get to the maximum possible size under a given aspect ratio when considering that 4.1 megapixels is the maximum resolution.

Thomas

raven

Did this "bug" get corrected in V2?

I still can not get more than 1.6mp. I apologize for misunderstanding, but this is quite cumbersome.

KeyShot will you provide a table of standard resolution values to achieve near max resolution?

Tom don't leave me hangin.

~raven

raven

Since KeyShot does not respond, can someone else please confirm they can achieve the 4.1MP resolution with the standard package?

~raven

guest84672

Are you trying to set the realtime window to a total resolution of 4.1 megapixels? If so, there is no need to do this. Only set up your desired aspect ratio in realtime in a smaller window, and then hit the render button, and set your higher output resolution.

Thomas