Main Menu

Aquarium box

Started by DriesV, August 08, 2013, 03:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Darn, KeyShot caustics are just TOO much fun. :)

I used fractal noise for the water plane bump.
I put a point light (no IES) above the water surface and also one behind the orange ball to act as a fill light.
No HDRI. Really fast realtime rendering.

It's really amazing that just 1 year ago I didn't even dream of doing this in KeyShot...

Dries

TpwUK

It is good fun isn't it ... I am busy playing with IES at the moment but only have a few hours left on the demo license, I have asked to be a 4.2 beta tester but not heard from KS on that score ... :( but I will be posting a few renders and a link to a scene if you want to play with it later. I got my new chip installed yesterday too, 8 cores are more fun as well - lol Any way enough of me prattling on, good exercise and render again Dries, well done sir

edwardo

I foresee some underwater shots coming soon....

abedsabeh

DriesV

Found some inspiration in GOLD from SX (Belgian indie pop band...).

Dries

DriesV

The obligatory 'fish in tank' shot.
Fish model from GrabCAD.

Dries

TpwUK

a set of goggles and a well bitten flipper added to that scene would suit that grinning fish perfectly - lol

nice work again Dries

Martin

abedsabeh

Maybe a chattering fish with few water bubbles:) Nice!

Abed

Ryno

Are the ripples just simply a bump map? If bump maps like that affect the caustics then colour me impressed!

DriesV

Yes, the water geometry is a simple flat surface and the bump map is a procedural texture (fractal noise).

Dries

DriesV

A bunch of GrabCAD fish is a (too tiny) tank.
A wonder who eats who first... :)

Dries

DriesV

Just dimmed a few lights.
The only active light source in this shot is a point light that acts as the anglerfish's 'lure light' (+emissive sphere to make the light source visible).

Dries

Speedster

These are insane!  Are you taking your meds?  Kidding aside, I doubt that even the Luxion Team realized where all of this would go.  Wow!

Would this work if the tank was clear glass and there was a backplate?

Bill G

Jeff Hayden

Dries, you are always taking it to the next level. I love it.

DriesV

Thanks, guys! ;)

Quote from: Speedster on August 08, 2013, 12:52:18 PM
Would this work if the tank was clear glass and there was a backplate?

It does work.
I used a solid color backplate (KeyShot library: electric blue) and a ground plane.
This was rendered in 15 minutes on 6 cores. Advanced settings: 32 samples, 16 ray bounces, anti aliasing 5, caustics 100. Not too shabby a performance, I think. :)

Dries