Main Menu

Aquarium box

Started by DriesV, August 08, 2013, 03:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I think without dispersion the caustic reflections are more pronounced.

Dries

richardfunnell

That's really fantastic Dries!
I was wondering how to sharpen the caustics, this is a great tip!

DriesV

Decided to do a final torture shot of this aquarium scene.
I increased the IOR on the inner faces of the box and decreased roughness a great deal.

Now you get sharp reflections of the water caustics in the spheres, blurry reflections of caustics in the walls and slightly colored caustics due to being reflected from metal. ;)

This is a realtime render. For ultimate caustics quality, the realtime renderer is unbeatable.

Dries

DriesV

Here's a detail crop of the upper golden sphere.

Dries

KeyShot

Looks great! Exactly what I was hoping to see :-)

DriesV

Really final shot of this box with glass elipsoids. The water has no dispersion. The glass has heavy dispersion (Abbe 10).

Now there are caustics (glass) being generated by the water caustics. :)

Dries

TpwUK

Dries, you have a wonderful way of researching KS and its light handling capabilities ... keep em coming

Martin

lloyed

Quote from: DriesV on August 08, 2013, 03:44:35 AM
Darn, KeyShot caustics are just TOO much fun. :)

I used fractal noise for the water plane bump.
I put a point light (no IES) above the water surface and also one behind the orange ball to act as a fill light.
No HDRI. Really fast realtime rendering.

It's really amazing that just 1 year ago I didn't even dream of doing this in KeyShot...

Dries

it is very cool ,can you tell me where can  i download the sense? thank you  tc0543@126.com

DriesV

Quote from: TpwUK on September 17, 2013, 05:42:41 PM
Dries, you have a wonderful way of researching KS and its light handling capabilities ... keep em coming

Martin

Thanks, Martin!
I'm having TOO much fun with these caustics. :) Only a few months ago rendering this scene would have been entirely impossible in KeyShot. Now KS is one of the best renderers (and apparently in some areas THE best) for these kind of scenes. Go figure... 8) I think that's amazing.

Dries

Oh, here's a little more resolved version of that last image...

TpwUK

What happens if you use the thin film soap bubble with caustics ? have you tried it yet ?

Martin

Helle

Is there any chance you will share the basic setup file.  I can't get it to look anything like water. Sure I must make a mistake. Would be happy for an empty scene with just the water surface effect

fario

hello
Gift for Dries  8)

Enjoy!

Antoine

Helle

Hi Antoine
Hmm, it was not the fish I needed. I modelled a shark in ZBrush and would love to "put it in an ocean" like environment with some soft caustic effect without the "box"... but I can't make the scene work. Maybe I didn't explain it clear enough :-)
Picture 2: my terrible attempt :-(

richardfunnell

It looks like you may need a stronger light source (like the physical lights in Dries' scene) to make the caustics more visible.
We recently wrote a blog post on caustics, hope it can shine a light on the topic ;) (terrible pun intended)
https://www.keyshot.com/2016/5-steps-getting-great-caustics-keyshot/

Helle

uh, my interface is from Zbrush to Keyshot 5 plugin.  Wonder if I am in trouble here?
I did push light harder, but all the wave-like effect looks more like "weird bobbles"  (picture below)?
I cannot seem to get waves