Best Renders I have ever seen!

Started by diamond, August 14, 2013, 10:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Another view from the same ring and HDRI.

Dries

Chad Holton

Thanks for uploading your file - I hope to get to play with it some tonight. Do you have an HDRI editor? Like Ed mentioned, the HDRI is 90% of the work. Another thing is to use multiple passes (usually 3: metal, diamond, clown). Where do you need help at? Maybe post your rendering of this ring as well, so we can help?

diamond

Quote from: Chad Holton on August 15, 2013, 12:54:50 PM
Thanks for uploading your file - I hope to get to play with it some tonight. Do you have an HDRI editor? Like Ed mentioned, the HDRI is 90% of the work. Another thing is to use multiple passes (usually 3: metal, diamond, clown). Where do you need help at? Maybe post your rendering of this ring as well, so we can help?
I will post my render, I have been playing around with the HDRI like Ed mentioned. My render does not look good, but I will post it in few.

DriesV

More white in the diamond.

Dries

Speedster

QuoteDoes anyone know about BunkSpeed?

They may have their own forum.  This is the KeyShot Forum.
BG

Ed

Here's my 2nd submission.

I added a physical light in front of the ring.  This gave highlights on the smaller diamonds, regardless of HDR position.  In other words, the physical light makes the "sweet spot" in the HDR less critical.  The physical light also gives a better defined shadow which plants the ring better in the scene.

As Chad suggested, the large diamond, small diamonds, and ring shank were optimized using two different HDRs and settings.  The three passes were combined in Photoshop.  In PS I tweaked the curves and saturation of each layer until I was satisfied with the matching of the layers.  Of course if this were a project I was going to publish, I'd work up multiple versions of each pass to get better matching.

I'm not a photo retoucher by any means.  I like to get renders in one pass with a minimum of post work if possible.  In this case, if you're going for a particular look, then multiple passes is probably the way to go.

Your reference image is at the bottom.  The big unknown with the reference is how much post work was done.  A lot of variables if you're going for an exact match.

Ed

Robb63

Quote from: diamond on August 15, 2013, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: Robb63 on August 15, 2013, 10:17:39 AM
Here's a 5 min setup version I worked on while I was eating lunch.

I dont think that you would see this render in a magazine, It looks like a five minute render. Does anyone have time to show us how Keyshot can replicate the same render I posted at the beginning of this post? Does anyone know about BunkSpeed?

Wow, that's a little harsh!! You're welcome for the effort, BTW

Despot

You know it really gets my goat when people do this...

Why don't you just learn the software like the rest of us and create your own renders, ones that you can be proud of because you alone did them ?

Even though it was not levelled at me, this comment made me really angry for some reason

QuoteI dont think that you would see this render in a magazine, It looks like a five minute render. Does anyone have time to show us how Keyshot can replicate the same render I posted at the beginning of this post? Does anyone know about BunkSpeed?

How dare you say that when someome has taken the time to produce a very nice (in my opinion) render ? It also takes my breath away that you haven't even shown any of your own yet !!!!

J

diamond

Quote from: Robb63 on August 15, 2013, 06:42:09 PM
Quote from: diamond on August 15, 2013, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: Robb63 on August 15, 2013, 10:17:39 AM
Here's a 5 min setup version I worked on while I was eating lunch.

I dont think that you would see this render in a magazine, It looks like a five minute render. Does anyone have time to show us how Keyshot can replicate the same render I posted at the beginning of this post? Does anyone know about BunkSpeed?

Wow, that's a little harsh!! You're welcome for the effort, BTW

I apologize for being a JERK. I just have a lot going on right now with my business. Thank you for even taking the time out to assist me. I do appreciate the help that you and the other members give everyday. Please except my apologizes.

diamond

Quote from: The Metal Master on August 16, 2013, 02:46:11 AM
You know it really gets my goat when people do this...

Why don't you just learn the software like the rest of us and create your own renders, ones that you can be proud of because you alone did them ?

Even though it was not levelled at me, this comment made me really angry for some reason

QuoteI dont think that you would see this render in a magazine, It looks like a five minute render. Does anyone have time to show us how Keyshot can replicate the same render I posted at the beginning of this post? Does anyone know about BunkSpeed?

How dare you say that when someone has taken the time to produce a very nice (in my opinion) render ? It also takes my breath away that you haven't even shown any of your own yet !!!!

J

Im sorry that my comments made you feel this way. I sincerely apologize! I was a jerk and I admit it. You are right I need to put the time in and learn the software like everyone else. You really opened my eyes with you response. I feel like an @ss. Sometimes people think they can say anything on the internet because they dont have to see the other people, and that is exactly what I did. I would like to thank you and all he other members for the time they send helping everyone on the forum.

Jeff Hayden

I would like to thank all of our forum members for being so helpful to each other. We are very lucky to have such a talented community so willing to help each other to improve their skills every day. Diamond, I appreciate and accept your apology. Like with any tool you will have to invest a little time and try new techniques to hone your specific look. Feel free to contact us directly and we will be happy to assist you. Send an e-mail to me at jeff@luxion.com and I will arrange an overview training.

evilmaul

it's always easy to blame the tools...and therefore the software....if you dont like KS go ahead and use another renderer.
Making comparisons is useless...... remember that the tools are just tools and what it makes the difference is the artist. Perhaps.....well I stop it here.

DriesV

start note: I'm no expert in jewelry at all.

Firstly, trying to match pictures is pointless. As others have pointed out, we simply don't know what post work went into those renders. If I can spend half a week in Photoshop, sure I can match those images to a tee.

Secondly, those renders -at least to me- don't really look very photoreal. That fire in the diamond (dispersed light) seems a bit artificial to me. There's just WAY too much dispersion for it to look anything like a diamond. And somehow the look of those stones seems heavily tuned by hand.

Thirdly, please do post your own attempts on achieving this look... It would be cool to have at least a starting point that we (KS community) can surely help you improve upon.

Dries

Ed

Just to echo what Dries is saying....

As a jeweler, I have photographed and sold diamond rings.  I've also studied numerous articles on post processing jewelry photos, and looked at the photography/renders on high-end jewelry sites.  In summary, most jewelry photography/renders are not photo-real.   Like automotive advertising, they are selling on emotion and sex appeal.  They offer altered images of what the public expects to see, not what the camera captures.

When it comes to jewelry, my personal preference is to lean toward photo-real with a minimum of post work.  Look at Tiffany - images are so washed out and cyan tinted they look cartoon-like.  There are even tutorials on how to get the Tiffany look in PS.  I guess that's what the high-end industry expects.  I can't argue with success.

So if you're going for magazine cover images, you better be highly skilled in re-touching.  The issue with ring renders is there is considerable interaction of light and reflections.  So isolation and tweaking of stones and metal using passes looses some of that natural interaction.  Plus, no single "formula" will work on all images.  The HDR used for one ring often looks terrible on the next.

IMHO, rather than trying to match an existing image where there is no information about the work and techniques that went into it, I'd concentrate of producing the best image possible given the tools you have and skills you have.

Ed

Chad Holton

Here's what I ended up with after playing with it for a bit. Two passes on this one. Used a modified version of the conference room for the diamonds and a slightly modified version of 3 Panels Tilted 2k for the metal. I'm close to being satisfied with it, may play with it a little more though.   ::)