Normal Map Display problem in keyshot

Started by clau1000, August 15, 2013, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clau1000

Hello,

I am trying to get normal maps to display properly in keyshot, but they are acting pretty strange, and there seems to be not much of a difference when the Normal Map option is checked or unchecked, under the bump map texture type, using an advanced shader.

So I made a simple example to test the difference between maya normal map display and keyshot. It's basically a half sphere on a plane (highpoly geometry), that is baked onto a plane (lowpoly geometry), using Xnormal. Here are the results -

This is the baked normal map, showing the sphere :

Plane with normal map applied, rendered in maya viewport (with high quality) :

Plane with normal map applied by using an advanced shader, under the bump texture type, with normal map checked :

Obviously keyshot is not displaying the normal map correctly. Please help, thanks in advance. I have also attached the obj of the plane for testing purposes.
I am using Keyshot 4.1

TpwUK

Does it look the same from the other side of the plane too ?

Martin

clau1000

Yes, it looks exactly the same from the other side too.

TpwUK

Very strange, will have to wait for an expert opinion on this one.

Martin

guest84672

KeyShot

There was a bug (has been fixed now), where you would not be able to toggle into a normal map (so it would look like a bump map, which is what you are seeing). You can send an email to beta@luxion.com if you want to try a beta KeyShot 4.2, where this is no longer a problem.

Jo

we have the same problem in our keyshot. but it is the newest version (4.1.35).
could it be, because it is still a trial-version?