Main Menu

Diamonds are Forever

Started by feher, August 21, 2013, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Hi Guys,
Here is my final take on a Diamond ring Challenge.
Someone wanted to know if Keyshot was capable of creating jewelry images for advertising. If they looked in the gallery I think the question would have been answered

Speedster

Stunning!  You could never achieve that in a "real" studios photo.  Not sure what you retouched, as the raw looks great to my eye.  You do De Beers proud!
Bill G

PhilippeV8

Retouch wise, I notice a flare or 2 added and an increase in contrast, which makes the image less soft.  Is there more ?

diamond

Quote from: feher on August 21, 2013, 01:03:57 PM
Hi Guys,
Here is my final take on a Diamond ring Challenge.
Someone wanted to know if Keyshot was capable of creating jewelry images for advertising. If they looked in the gallery I think the question would have been answered

Wow, Love it. You guys really proved me wrong. I wish my renders where this good!

diamond

Im stumped! How did you achieve this?

KeyShot

feher

Well I typed my thoughts and what I did for this image and I just noticed it never made it to my original post. I will try to type out the cliff notes of what I wanted to say when I posted the image.
in a nut shell. My goal was to create an image using just one render. I did not want to do multiple renders for the diamonds the ring...etc
I spent a lot of time with materials and lighting with my projects. I push the software to do what I want and not settle for that's as good as I can get it I'll fix it in post or in another render.
I make all my materials from scratch for every project I do. if you opened my Keyshot and looked into my material folder you would see I have no new materials just what Keyshot provides with the install.
I know I have mention this before but I feel the less I have to retouch the more real/natural the image looks.(that wasn't always how I worked) This image is a perfect example of that. If you look at the raw image compared to the retouch you will only see small changes.
for example the only thing I did in post was I added a little bloom, added some weight and color to the ring and then finally added a few sparkles. Keyshot did the rest.
The software doesn't make the image, YOU do. It all depends on how much time you want to put into your craft.

Sorry I really don't know what my point is, I'm all over the place. But what started this was the question. "Can Keyshot create images like this". The short answer is yes !
Thanks for reading.
My door is always open if you have questions or just want to talk.
Tim

feher

Quote from: Speedster on August 21, 2013, 01:17:42 PM
Stunning!  You could never achieve that in a "real" studios photo.  Not sure what you retouched, as the raw looks great to my eye.  You do De Beers proud!
Bill G

Thanks Bill !!!!
This just reinforces what I wrote above. Spend your time up front with lighting and materials inside Keyshot let the software work for you. If you do that your retouching will be minimal and your image will look fresh.
Just like when painting with watercolor. If you over work a spot it looks muddy. I feel if we over retouch it dose the same thing. Your photorealistic image turns into an illustration. (Of course that is fine if that's the look you want.)
I would love to have a crack at your car you just did.....just sayin....lol 

fario

wonderful work Feher!

There you just have to marry your car with your jewelry! ... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Antoine

DriesV

Quote from: feher on August 21, 2013, 05:56:22 PM
I make all my materials from scratch for every project I do. if you opened my Keyshot and looked into my material folder you would see I have no new materials just what Keyshot provides with the install.

Wow, major deja vu... That sounds a lot like how I work. I always thought that I should create more library materials and that I wasn't being very efficient with my workflow. But somehow I felt comfortable with the way I was working...
Now I know that I do it like the masters. So I stick with my current workflow. ;D

GREAT image btw!
Really love the -almost pearlescent- ground plane.

Dries

abedsabeh

Josh3D

If they looked in the gallery is right. This one is going in there!