Updated wish list + multiple bump maps

Started by Speedster, September 06, 2013, 10:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Been doing a lot of architectural renders lately, and have noticed some things that would really help on all projects.  Hope you agree!

1.   "Suppress" and "Un-suppress" parts or assemblies in the Scene Tree.  KS likes this one.

2.   "Link" and "Un-link" icon (like Photoshop) for linked materials in the Scene Tree.  Would indicate that the specific material has been linked.

3.   When clicking on a Link icon (2 above) all associated materials highlight in the KeyShot Blue.

4.   Viewset includes all materials that may have been hidden (or shown).  Especially useful with camera viewports.

5.  Related to 4 above:  DISPLAY STATES!  Similar to SolidWorks and other CAD apps.  You could set up a Display State(s) that includes materials, materials (parts) you wish to hide or show, along with the existing HDR and backplate.

6.   Ability to "Adjust aspect ratio to backplate" (Preferences) without having to exit KeyShot to make the change.  Sometimes you need to retain an aspect ratio, but need to drop in a new backplate, and we usually don't know that until we're in the workflow.

7.   "Reset" button on ALL material tabs.  Takes you back to where you were prior to tweaking a material.

8.   Ability to rename parts or assemblies in the Scene Tree. 

9.   Re-order in the Scene Tree would be nice, but likely not possible.

10.  Add "Feet" to the Model Units options.

11-  Multiple Bump Maps!  Allows the application of a primary bump (normal) map as well as one ore more additional bump maps that "overlay" the primary, this to allow the creation of more complex textures.

Bill G

edwardo

+1 to all those suggestions.....

...except point 10: "Add "Feet" to the Model Units options.".

If you start adding antiquated measurement systems where do you you draw the line? Yards.... Furlongs..... Hectares.... Cubits.... Clicks.... Hands (for all the horse modellers), and ofcourse light years for the Trekkies .

Speedster

I suggested "feet" only to get a larger unit than inches or centimeters.  I've run into a lot of problems with very large models using, for example, mm and inch units.  Meter unit would be just fine with me!
Bill G

cadjockey

completely agree with these!
Suppress/unsuppress would work well with model sets. You can rename parts/assemblies in the properties window below the tree I notice, but not in the tree itself. I'm okay with that.

I've been using the software for a few weeks now (and loving it) I've put a list below with some of my querks and feature requests. (It maybe there is already a way of doing some of them, but could be quicker or more intuitive)
(Not wanting to hijack teh thread, but seems a good place to keep together)

1.   In the scene tree list, have an option to show only visible parts in the tree for easier editing in the tree.
2.   In the scene tree allow simple wildcards in the filter eg abc* to get everything starting abc
3.   If I have already used 'show only' to show only a single part, and I go to the scene tree and select some hidden parts in the tree, there is no option for 'show' these parts, only for 'show all' or 'show only'  (ie, I want my currently selected part plus the new ones ) I have to manually click each check box to show it, its not possible for multiple parts to be shown at once. Would be a simple timesaver.
4.   Allow dropping materials onto the scene tree, either by the part it drops on or multiple if there is anything selected.
5.   Auto save! Keep three or four backups too...
6.   Background refresh of materials db on open, takes far too long waiting at the moment
7.   In the properties/position dialog, allow showing the absolute XYZ/Rotation so other imported parts can be positioned accurately in the same space.
8.   Material thumbnails do not show clearly the textures, they are zoomed out too much. (eg moldtech shows this clearly) I'd like them to be either zoomed in more, or if you hover over offer a different closer view?  It is incredibly difficult to see which texture I need , as they all look the same.
9.   Merge two or more material templates. My goal was to be able to read in any solidworks model and have the materials set correctly, now I have to pick a template and through trial and error find one that's reasonably close. (which is normally non of them) also allow renaming.
10. Render all saved views option rather than having to switch to each one and add to queue.

Thats all I could think of right now, any thoughts ?

Rich

Speedster

Not a hijack at all!  We're all putting together our wish list, and I know many are already in testing.

Quote1.   In the scene tree list, have an option to show only visible parts in the tree for easier editing in the tree.
Great idea!  Like a ghosting out of hidden parts.

Quote5.   Auto save! Keep three or four backups too...
BINGO!  I totally agree!  But maybe just 1 backup?

Bill G