Huge IGS file

Started by geffin, September 10, 2013, 09:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geffin

Hi,

I have a very large IGS file (950 megs) I am attempting to import. I am able to import it using the lowest tessellation settings, however this is not ideal. Any time I try to import it at an even slightly higher tessellation setting it takes far too long (left it overnight). My computer isn't that great, only 8 gigs of RAM, so I'm wondering if this is a limitation of my computer - or could it be the file is just too large? Any insight would be greatful.

Thanks,
-Geffin

Ruckus

Sounds like 8GB of RAM just isn't enough in this case.  The probable reason for it taking so much longer when you increase the tessellation is that you have crossed the border in virtual memory (on disk & much slower).

If you try it again, be sure to get out of all other applications.  Also look at the process table and click on "show processes from all users" to see what other things are running in the background that you might be able to kill.  The goal is to free up as much RAM as possible before you start.  (I'm assuming Windows here, but there is probably something similar for Macs)

geffin

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try your suggestion. Just for reference: Is 1 gig a really big IGS file? It seems very big to me. Also, is there a baseline 'ideal' level of tessellation I should be importing at?

Ruckus

1GB is pretty large for an IGES file, but not unheard of.  What/who is your source for this file?  Can it be reexported using different options to reduce the file size?  (It may contain a lot of manufacturing information that you don't need.)  Can it be broken apart into smaller files?  A lot of unknowns to give solid advice.

We do all of our tessellation before getting to KeyShot, so I can't comment on that exact process.  In general all tessellators will give you at least Chordal Deviation to work with, try 0.2mm as a starting point.  If they also give you Angular Deviation then 10 degrees is usually way too tight (& large), 15 will usually give good looking results, but since you are having trouble start with no less than 22.5 degrees.  It can be a difficult balancing act between a good tessellation and file that is just too big.