video of my 1927 Miller 91 INDY racecar

Started by Speedster, September 11, 2013, 04:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

I apologize, as this is not directly a KeyShot post, but it does feature my model and I've posted a lot of renderings of it here in the past.  And several KeyShot prints do appear in it!  I know you will find it of interest and quite instructive, and rest assured my intent is not an "ad" for the company!

It's an excellent 12 minute video showing the build of an almost 1/2 size Rapid Prototype model of my 1927 Miller 91 racecar.  It demonstrates the four primary RP processes of SLA, FDM, SLS and PolyJet.  It's by my friend and associate Mike Littrell, CEO of C.ideas, a big-boy in the RP industry.

An excellent Rapid Prototype primer for you designers! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zV8JMwrvs

Bill G

feher

Just amazing  !!!! That technology just hurts my brain. Being in the automotive industry I have seen this and it just crazy how far we have come from clay modeling, wood modeling ...etc
It all starts with your modeling skills and your attention to detail. Great work Bill.
Tim

Speedster

QuoteGreat work Bill
Thanks, Tim.  As a prototype modelmaker for almost 50 years now, I well remember the hand machined and carved solid wood models, endless primer coats, sanding, color coats, sanding, rubbing out, etc.!  Did a lot of work for John Deere and for Henry Dreyfuss-  this model would have been several months work for sure!
Bill G

Chad Holton

Great video - thanks for posting. Did they make an extra one for you?

evilmaul

thanks awesome! thanks for sharing Bill!!
we just got today a makerbot II at work today ...a bunch of us decided to  chip in some money and get one of those machines. It was like Christmas today when the package arrived :)

Jeff Hayden

Bill, this is awesome. I loved watching the entire process. You are always up to interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing sir.

PhilippeV8

I do not want to know what this car cost ... (no I do ... but I don't want to pay it  :P)

(maybe it was said in the vid, but I don't have audio atm)

TpwUK

Oh my word, that must have been so much fun too - Excellent results and video

Martin

Skint

Bill.  WOW.  The worlds best toy model car kit!  I want one.

You must be really proud of it.  Fantastic job they did on it too.

Speedster

QuoteI do not want to know what this car cost
Let's just say that the real Miller 91 would be in the 3.5 to5 million dollar range!  So if the model is about half-sized- hmmm...  Just kidding!
Bill G

Josh3D

Thanks so much for sharing Bill. Love seeing the behind the scene process. You never cease to amaze.

Speedster

Thanks for all the kudos, guys!  But Mike at C.ideas and his amazing staff, especially Sue, the Master Modelmaker, deserves the bulk of the credit, as they saw the need to pull all of the primary processes together and show how compatible they are. 

This was posted today on Desktop Engineering!  http://www.rapidreadytech.com/2013/09/c-ideas-showcases-the-power-of-additive-manufacturing/

But what I want to point out here, that many of us may not realize, is that high-end rendering with KeyShot (and others I guess) is also part of the Rapid Prototyping Process, and becoming more so every day.  In my own marketing I call it "Rapid Visualization".  The ability to throw materials and real-world environments around our products early on in the design process is as important now as RP models, FEA analysis and PLM studies.

The toolbox available to us today really blows my mind, as I go back to blueprints, carving tools and slide rules!  In fact, around 1970 I built the model of what's considered to be the first calculator, the Bomar Brain!

Bill G

edwardo

This is great, I've always loved 'how they make that' shows. Perfect car choice and level af detail for this project. The guy in the video spoke about being excited about what to print next.... well I've modelled my 'dream house' in some detail, complete with furniture fittings and pool. If they could print it out 1:1 for me that would be nice  :)

But seriously, great collective work, it's the best scale model of anything...ever. Next step: get it functioning - print a combustion engine, and train a cigar smoking monkey to drive it

Fantastic
Ed