Main Menu

Diamonds

Started by ben10, July 29, 2010, 06:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben10

it's my first time to render a jewel and I don't know if it's physically accurate. Because of the amount of dispersion the render time is almost 2 hours but i bet in maxwell it will be 10 hours...It's a raw render no postwork. I did this just to see how keyshot will handle this kind of material as I've read many users complaining about dispersion in keyshot.
It is just a test render...Thanks zigaretos for providing this scene

Ed

Here are two examples I did in KeyShot.  

Diamonds are complex, but one has a lot of control based on the HDRI, gamma, brightness, and material settings.  

I can rotate my HDRI slightly and get a completely different set of colors in the dispersion.  And if one wants more or less dispersion, just adjust the diamond material abbe #.

Second image is a different HDR with more focused, less diffused lighting.  It all comes down to experimentation to get the result you're after.

Speedster

I'm afraid to let my wife into the office- she might see these and get dangerous ideas!  Seriously, these are really neat. 

I want to share a link to an important website that I ran across on a related search for a client.  It's been most helpful in helping me understand refraction.  Hope it helps all of you in this interesting dialogue.  It even lists the ABBE # of almost everything!

http://interactagram.com/physics/optics/refraction/

Bill G

ben10

how long did it take to render?....Suddenly i forgot to save the scene...I cannot reproduce the 1st image...I think the glow effect at the ground relies in global illumination quality as I bumped it...

For the creator. I have question and I think it's a bug. I can't increase the dispersion sample above 16. The slider can't go through it.

ben10

the second and third image is the default diamond material. If i decrease the abbe number to 10 and below...the dispersion will be noticeable...I think the safe area is between 3-6...1 will give full rainbow dispersion. The realtime render clears up fast but the final render is too slow...It should be optimized for the next update

Ed

Quote from: ben10 on July 30, 2010, 08:39:28 AM
how long did it take to render?....Suddenly I forgot to save the scene...I cannot reproduce the 1st image...I think the glow effect at the ground relies in global illumination quality as I bumped it...

For the creator. I have question and I think it's a bug. I can't increase the dispersion sample above 16. The slider can't go through it.

The images I posted are screen shots.  Render times on multiple diamonds can be slow.  Nine times out of ten I can't tell the difference between a well-cooked screen shot and a render.  I just hit my keyboard PrtScn button and paste into PS to avoid saving as a jpg.  I only use render when I need a TIF alpha image. My images posted below cooked about 12 minutes before I captured the shot.

As far as the diamond material sliders - they work throughout their range on my system.

Ed

ben10

just like my 2nd and 3rd image...they are also screenshot... they just cleared up fast...however the final rendering for the 1st image is almost 2 hours...the realtime render doesn't look the same...It doesn't have the color bleeding and glow effects plus the shadows are pixelated in realtime viewport

Ed

I made a render (top) and screen shot (bottom) with no post work.  The render took 22 minutes.
There is an obvious difference in the gamma.  I can see a little more detail and sharpness in the render version if I blow up the image.  At the normal resolution they look the same to me (other than the gamma).

I've not seen a good explanation on the differences between the render and screen shot methods.  For my work (web site images), screen shot works most the time.  If I were making large prints, or need alpha channel, then render mode would be my choice.

Ed

guest84672

In realtime, increase shadow quality, raybounces, and click "detailed indirect illuminationg".

The offline rendering is a completely different animal. The upcoming release will have a new feature that will let you take the realtime rendering and let it res up to bigger image ... if this makes any sense.

ben10

for most of the time realtime render works but it's limited to monitor's screen size...it should also add camera tonemapping effects and vignetting. This will be really helpful.

ben10

can you make the exposure controls in realtime tab not affect the rendering like other unbiased renderers out there do? It completely updates the image without re-rendering again while increasing the image's gamma and brightness and some camera effects like aberration and vignetting will be cool.

guest84672

I don't understand what you mean. Vignetting is coming in 2.1.

ben10

like these

these are keyshot screenshot renders...limited to my monitor's screen size. BTW I used photoshop for these...but it will be cool if we can control this in realtime