Missing part when opening Rhino file

Started by craftyste, October 03, 2013, 03:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftyste

Hi
I've trying out the Keyshot demo.  It's my first day on it.
I'm wanting to render a salt/pepper shaker modelled in Rhino.
It consists of a glass body, cork stopper and salt/pepper inside.  The idea is that the salt/pepper will be visible through the glass body of the shaker.
But when I load it into Keyshot, the glass body of the shaker is missing.  So fully exposing the salt/pepper inside.
Can anyone offer advice as to why this part of the model is missing every time?  So why does the cork and salt/pepper show up but the body is missing?
Cheers
Steve

Chad Holton

Hi Steve,

Would you be able to share your Rhino file(s), so we can take a look? If so, please send to support@luxion.com.

Thanks,
Chad

edwardo

I suspect this is something to do with the way rhino saves geometry, particularly extruded geometry. It happens a lot to me, but there is a work around. Just 'explode' all parts into individual surfaces and re-import. Remember to structure your rhino file so as that each separate material in keyshot is saved on separate layers in rhino.

Hope that helps

Ed

craftyste

Thanks Ed

I've emailed it to Chad/support and will see what they say.
I'm away from the program right now so can't check your tip but will defo give it a go later.  Will let you know if it works.
Cheers
Steve

Chad Holton

Thanks for sending, Steve. I just sent you an email. If you don't see it, check your SPAM.

Chad

craftyste

Hi Ed
Just tried your exploding trick... didn't work sadly.

Hi Chad
Also tried installing the plug in and uploading from there... I just get a blank black screen.

(We are using Keyshot on both Mac and PC.  In mac, Keyshot loads up the file but excludes the glass body and in PC we just get the black screen)

Urgh I thought Keyshot was meant to be easier and more intuitive than Maxwell  :-\

edwardo

Hi Steve, have faith.... Keyshot IS easier than maxwell, by a long chalk. Sure, maxwell is great and probably still unsurpassed for realism, but as human beings we only have a life expectancy of around 75 years, which only allows us to output a few renders from maxwell.

If my 'exploding geometry' trick didn't work you could try putting tiny fillets on your glass geometry if you don't already have them - that sometimes works for me.

Also there is always the possibility that your rhino file is corrupt some how.

Hope you get it sorted out.

To keyshot staff: have mcneel released developers kits for rhino osx yet? Looking forwards to the day rhino, keyshot and hrdlightstudio all play together (with plugins) on the osx platform. Wishful thinking probably

Thanks
Ed

Chad Holton

Hm, it worked for me (brought in all three parts) using plugin/KS4.2/Windows. I assume you may need 4.2. If so, grab it from here: http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,6747.0.html

Do you get a black screen regardless of what you open in Windows? If so, you may need to turn off graphic effects under Preferences>Effects (don't forget to save preference changes).

Chad Holton

Quote from: edwardo on October 03, 2013, 11:35:04 AM
Hi Steve, have faith.... Keyshot IS easier than maxwell, by a long chalk. Sure, maxwell is great and probably still unsurpassed for realism, but as human beings we only have a life expectancy of around 75 years, which only allows us to output a few renders from maxwell.

;D

Sirrus

Hello, I've just registered to send this post.

Rhino 5 names its extrusions as "extrusion", not "polysurface" as earlier versions of rhino.

So, all you need to do is typing command selectextrusion and then convertextrusion to convert all extrusions to polysurfaces. After saving your rhino file Keyshot will be able to recognize all of the models.

Good luck.

Robb63

In Rhino if you type "UseExtrusions" you can tell Rhino whether to use "Simple Extrusions", or "Polysurfaces"  by default when you extrude something. It's a set once, and forget it command, as Rhino should always remember that preference.