Element 3D - 3D Models directly in After Effects

Started by Namssorg, October 07, 2013, 12:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namssorg

Saw this software demoed today- very interesting!  http://www.videocopilot.net/help/element/tutorial/basic/element_3d_introduction/

I've done several animations in Keyshot that I bring into After Effects for compositing + editing, but this looks like it adds an incredible level of control.  I just wish there were a way to set up Models I've made in CAD software in Keyshot, and then import them into Element 3D to use as 3D props.

Anyone use this software, or think something like this is possible?  From what I've seen it looks like you pretty much have to use a program similar to 3DS Max to bake on textures, etc.  since it's using OBJ/ C4D files.

Ed

I've used Element 3D (E3D) since it came out. 

You can import your OBJ models, and as long as they have different materials assigned to the various surfaces in the modeling program, you can assign materials from the E3D library.  Just like in KeyShot.

The downside is that the number of pre-set materials available are limited, and the quality of output (in terms of material realism) is not as good as you get with KeyShot.

The big advantage of E3D is that it is extremely fast and you can play with various camera moves and instantly see the results inside After Effects without rendering numerous frames as you would with KeyShot.

By the way - the title sequence for the latest Star Trek movie was done with E3D - a $150 After Effects plug-in! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYzGhNkNBWs

I'm working on an animation project now where I'll combine the best of both worlds:  KeyShot animation for extreme close ups, and E3D for more distant, but complex model moves and camera animation.

Ed

Namssorg

Great to hear from someone who has some experience using it. 

I think where it falls short for me is that generally I'm working with models being developed in CAD programs like SolidWorks, which are a huge pain to get into .OBJ format.  (It can be done, but translating detailed product models can be very problematic  http://solidsmack.com/resources/free-solidworks-obj-export-macro/ )

I know you can save Keyshot scenes out as a .OBJ, ever tried that?  There don't seem to be any settings and I don't know if it bakes textures on, but it would be pretty cool if I could take models I've already set-up in keyshot and plop them into programs that import .OBJ files, like Element 3D.

Ed

Good question.  I don't use SolidWorks.   But, I took the famous KeyShot camera BIP, exported their camera model as OBJ, and pulled it into Element 3D / After Effects.

I then assigned some materials in Element 3D (I made no effort to try and make it look good - this is just a test).  And once it is in After Effects I can position it in 3D space, rotate it, animate it, etc.

See screen shot below.  So yes, I think you're good to go.

Ed

TpwUK

That looks cool :) I don't use AE or E3D, but I do work with OBJ for rendering purposes and i tend to encourage SolidWorks to provide STEP files which are then imported into MoI3D for conversion to OBJ or FBX. It has a really good mesh generator allowing you to scale objects and to adjust mesh density, it also allows you to set the output as Triangles, Tris and Quads or N-Gons so you can taylor the output for the level and types supported by the render engine of your choice.

Martin