black spots appearing on some animation frames

Started by ebarber, October 08, 2013, 03:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebarber

Hello,

Creating an animation of a fairly complex model which has been built in Creo 2.0,

When rendering out the animation some of the frames appear to have small defined black areas appearing on them.
After adjusting settings and materials we can confirm that ...

- Changing the material, adjusting / removing the texture doesn't remove the black spots
- Changing the number of samples within the material also doesn't remove the black spots

The model has been imported into keyshot by saving it as both .obj and .step files, using both file types doesn't solve the problem.
The current render settings are ...

- Advanced Control

- Resolution:889 x 501
- Samples: 6
- Ray Bounces: 2
- Anti Aliasing: 1
- Shadow: 1
- Pixel Blur: 1

See below an image of the offending part (note, only this part is causing the issue, and there is nothing obviously wrong with the geometry in Creo, multiple imports have been tried, all having the same problem)

Thanks

Chad Holton

Hi,

Not sure what the problem could be. Would you be able to share the Creo part with me, so I can take a look? It will be used for testing only and will be kept confidential. If so, please send to chad@luxion.com using this upload link: keyshot.wetransfer.com

Thanks,
Chad

Justin M

I am getting something similar to the above issue. I have an animation doing a 360 turnaround. Almost all the frames come out fine, except around 6 frames that come out with black artifacts. Its funny because they render just fine in the view port renderer, but it only happens when I send it to the render Queue.  Not really sure what would cause that. Any advice would be appreciated, gets tedious going and finding the frames that need to be re-rendered. Speaking of that, is there a way to toggle the animation timeline so it shows key frames instead of time?

Thanks in advance

KeyShot

If you use the realtime renderer (max samples in the render dialog) then you will get exactly the same output as the realtime window and you should not be getting any spots.

Justin M

So just checking the "Use Realtime Settings" will eliminate the random black spots. See attached image.

KeyShot

I can see how that one is confusing. The realtime renderer and max samples can be found under the quality tab.

Rex

Render Options>Quality>Max Samples is what is being referred to as the "realtime renderer"

Justin M

Thanks, So set that to the max of 256 and good to go. that increases the render time quite dramatically.

Rex