Main Menu

Textured Toons

Started by NormanHadley, October 09, 2013, 07:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanHadley

This is probably just me being slow on the uptake but I've just realised we can have toon materials with just a subtle bump map for realism for that hand-sketched look.

NormanHadley

I should clarify; when I say "hand-sketched" I mean by someone competent. Even if I had the finest pencils Switzerland could produce, I couldn't do a decent drawing.

Chad Holton

jhiker

I really like that effect..
:) :)

Ed

Thanks for sharing that Norman.  I didn't know either.

Ed

thomasteger

Very nice. And yes, a bit slow on the uptake ... ;-)

NormanHadley

I can definitely see uses for this stuff in tech pubs. Plus it's lots of fun. Here's a cylinder head with a subtle milled texture on the machined faces and a coarse cast texture elsewhere.

NormanHadley

Here's a tech-pubs style shot picking out the oil system.

Ruckus

I really like these!  The milled texture has a lot of potential.

The cast texture is great too, but needs some work.  To little & it is not noticeable, too much & it begins to look like that molded cardboard packaging stuff.  (which would be perfect if you were trying to show molded cardboard packaging material ::) )

NormanHadley

Hi Ruckus

I agree, the cast texture is a tricky balancing act. Here's one with a mixture of procedural noise and brushed finish for a sixties car-manual vibe. I've killed the ground shadows with this one.

What we really need is for Speedster to render out some of his Olde Worlde trains and stuff in this style.

thomasteger

Speedster

QuoteWhat we really need is for Speedster to render out some of his Olde Worlde trains and stuff in this style.

I am!  First I want to finish my TENMILE updates per the advice from our forum.  Then- TOONS!  Can hardly wait!
Bill G

TpwUK

Maybe you can add a toon style too with regard to your 'ten mile' project - I have been trying to do a toon shader to look like the old 'scraper-board' style artwork, but I have a while to go with that i feel, but sketches are really effective in KS :)

Martin

NormanHadley

Morning, TpwUK

QuoteI have been trying to do a toon shader to look like the old 'scraper-board' style artwork

Interesting idea. I've had a go this morning. I wanted to avoid the obvious dodge of post-negativising (trust me, it's a word) a black-contour, white-background image so this is unadulterated Keyshot. I set my toon material to charcoal, the contours to white at width 1 and cranked the shadow multiplier way down low to get some variation in the face shading. I have no earthly idea what use such an image might have but maybe that's not the right question....

TpwUK

Thanks for giving it some thought Norman. I discovered something by accident during a recent KeyShot render challenge and the result was this https://grabcad.com/library/nrj-super-tooned-evil-twin-1 but being the scatter brain that I am these days it sent me off on a tangent and I thought that maybe I could try and tweak the toon shader in KS to be able to achieve the scraper-board effect. Why ? You may well ask, and the answer is I have seen plenty of boards that cover architectural scenes and those that cover wild-life, but I have not seen any that cover engineering projects. Is that simply because the subject material is not suitable or is it because of the modern art tools we have at our disposal that it's just not been done ? Either way it gives my mad scientist head something to work on.

The difficulty is weights and thicknesses as well as directional changes to present differences in light and shade - It might be achievable with playing with the cross hatch pattern but I have not gotten round to experimenting with it yet.

Martin