Front/Back-face materials on same surface

Started by Gaspard, October 09, 2013, 08:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaspard

Hi,

is there a way to assign two materials to the same surface: the front and back face ?

My problem: I want to render a sheet of metal that is shiny on the front face and rough on its back. Both sides are visible to the camera.

My thinking was: offset the surface by just a tiny bit and assign each material to what effectively will be 2 surfaces. The problem: the surface is way too complex to be offset (I am using Rhino).

Thanks for your help!

thomasteger

Have you tried duplicating the surface in KeyShot, and then doing a tiny offset?

TpwUK

You beat me to it Thomas - lol I was just going to say the exact same thing :P

Martin

JonWelch

Just as a suggestion, and I don't know if this works the same in rhino, but in Solidworks, I like to select and color surfaces a different color if I want to it be a separate in Keyshot. It doesn't matter what color it is, as long as it's not the stock the grey color. This comes in handy for things like lettering that I can just "Split Line" onto a surface and then color separately. That way I do not have to make individual labels to map on in Keyshot constantly, plus it allows to pick up any bump/texture map.

Jon

thomasteger

Yes- this works consistently across the board with other CAD applications.