patchy squares rendering anomoly in my scene! How can i fix this??

Started by amaltheaah, October 11, 2013, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amaltheaah

Ugh this is driving me crazy, i can't seem to change any settings to make this stop happening.

These squares are randomly all over the place and change every time i re-render. This is a slightly modified milky-plastic material.

Any ideas of how to fix this?? help!

Chad Holton

What version are you using exactly? (under Help>About)
Is this happening with advanced, max time, max sample, screenshot or network rendering type? It looks like advanced but want to be sure.
Are you using a texture?

Ruckus

A couple of versions ago we saw something like this when using network rendering.  It turned out to be that some of the slave machines did not get updated to the latest version of the code.

jon ashbridge

I'm currently having the same problem on our work network. We're running keyshot 3 pro, and using the latest 4.3 release of network rendering - which has been installed on all the network slaves and master.

The same patchy squares appear on the rendered frames, and move around from frame to frame, making animations flicker - very annoying. It happens when using advanced control, and generally seems to affect transparent/translucent materials. I've tried using the max samples mode instead, which does remove the patchy squares, but the samples have to be very high to avoid the image looking grainy and it takes too long to render. I have tried to isolate the individual slaves to find out if one was causing the problem, but they all seem to exhibit the same problem. Maybe its an issue to do with how our network is set up?

Anyone have any solutions?

thomasteger

Jon - you should try this with KeyShot 4. I strongly believe that this is fixed. Contact your sales person and ask for a temp license. If you decide to upgrade, you can save 20% if you do it before January 31.

jon ashbridge

Thanks Thomas, I'll try keyshot 4 and see if that works - how long would a temp license last?

thomasteger

As long as you need - 2 weeks is plenty I would think. And if you need more time we can always extend it. Did you buy through us or a reseller?

jon ashbridge

thomasteger

jbajic

I am having the same issues - see image.  Very frustrating!

I am using Keyshot 4.3.10, Network rendering version 4.3.4, using advanced control with 24 samples, 60 ray bounces, 1 antialiasing, 1 shadow, 2 global illum and 1.0 pixel blur.  Sharp shadows and sharper texture are on.  Render resolution is 1600 x 1630.  I am using a retail store HDRI as light source.

Speedster

Me too, and it's driving me nuts on a 50 image client project.  It's either white splotches or dark splotches.  See following images.  Material Gloss Paint.  They go away if I uncheck Sharp Shadows, but then I lose overall definition. Acceptable for this project, but there has to be an answer...

1st image with Sharp Shadows.  2nd with Sharp Shadows unchecked. 

Bill G

DriesV

In 4.3.10 you could try to light your scene with physical lights (point, IES, area) only and turn environment brightness down to 0.
It's my experience that the splotches are caused by a combination of GI, HDRI and sharp shadows.

Also, it is ONLY an issue with advanced control rendering. Any kind of realtime rendering (screenshot, max. samples, max. time) does not have these defects.

Dries

Speedster

QuoteAlso, it is ONLY an issue with advanced control rendering.

Wow!  Thanks, Dries!  Worked like a champ.  I'm not going to clutter amaltheaah's thread with more photos, but it worked as realtime.  The Advanced rendered in 20 seconds on 32 cores.  But 30 seconds realtime was awful, 3 minutes a bit better, and 10 minutes perfect.

I never render realtime, as all my work is for print and I'm never sure where it meets maximum quality for 300 dpi.  Is there a guideline?  I know it's totally dependent on horsepower and cores, but how do you determine where draw the line?

But the issue remains, and needs to be fixed.

Bill G

DriesV

Impossible to give a general guideline for the amount of samples/time you need. Not only does it depend on machine specs, but also 'scene specs'.
Renders can require more time/samples if your scene has: DOF, translucent materials...
Btw, if your scene has DOF and translucent materials then I would definitely recommend using realtime over advanced rendering. Remember that realtime rendering speed has improved a lot since KS 4.2!

Now, one HUGE advantage of realtime over advanced rendering is that you can cut the rendering short when it has not yet reached 100% completion and STILL get a fuly rendered image. Advanced rendering does not allow to do this.

Btw, there's a newer build that I've been testing that fixes these issues. ;)

Dries