Pivot points issue

Started by rfollett, October 14, 2013, 01:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

I have an issue with pivot points in 4.2

Please see youtube movie. As you can see when I rotate the whole object 180 deg round x axis it all falls apart?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxDdaC5vVD8&feature=youtu.be

Many thanks to Dries who has been helping me with this issue.

DriesV

Maybe it's worthwhile to attach your scene (save as ksp). ;)

Dries

rfollett

DriesV

My 2cts about dynamic pivot points...
I'm having a hard time figuring out when/why I should enable dynamic pivot points or not. In the past few days I've been playing with them for a project. Sometimes I expect to need dynamic pivot points, but get undesirable results. Unchecking dynamic pivot points sometimes fixes the issue.

On another note:
The 4.2 manual is rather vague and very unintuitive about dynamic pivot points.
QuoteDynamic Pivot points
This will allow the rotating part or model to follow a moving helper object. Dynamic pivot points should also be enabled when there are two or more rotations (each with different helper objects) applied to the same part or model. Not all moving helper objects will need the dynamic pivot points checkbox to be enabled. If a part orbits a helper object while the second is translated, the dynamic pivot point check box should remain
unchecked unless the translation's axis orientation is "Original Local" and the rotation animation is applied at a higher hierarchy level. In that case the check box should be checked.

I think we need a good tutorial/quicktip video to show the ins and outs of dynamic pivot points. ;)

Dries

thomasteger

As far as dynamic pivot points go, we think that you would check this box most times. There are some cases where you don't want it checked. We will let you know.

rfollett

Any more thoughts on this guys?

Chad Holton

Yes - thanks for your feedback and thanks to Dries - bug filed.