Keyshot 4.2 - Performance problems in material edit

Started by rasmustp, October 16, 2013, 02:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasmustp

Hi,

Others that have experienced problems in the material editor since the 4.2 update?

When I double click my material to edit it, everything freezes for a moment (windows circle). And when it opens I have same problems when I try edit the material the first time...

BR Rasmus

Claus Jensen

Does the freeze happen while KeyShot is rendering the material spheres in the material tab?

rasmustp

Quote from: Claus Jensen on October 16, 2013, 02:09:58 AM
Does the freeze happen while KeyShot is rendering the material spheres in the material tab?

Yes it seems so... Can I fix it somehow then?

Ruckus

I had a similar problem - when I went into the material libray, I got the widows spinning symbol and could not do anything after that.

To solve this, exit KS, move all the files out of the Material folder to some temp location, start KS, and then drop your material files back into the Material folder - you will now get some error messages about specific material files that you can delete.

rasmustp

Quote from: Ruckus on October 16, 2013, 11:10:37 AM
I had a similar problem - when I went into the material libray, I got the widows spinning symbol and could not do anything after that.

To solve this, exit KS, move all the files out of the Material folder to some temp location, start KS, and then drop your material files back into the Material folder - you will now get some error messages about specific material files that you can delete.

Tried it now... But it didn't work. Still when I double click on a material to edit, the screen freezes and loads for about 10 seconds before returning. It doesn't crash, it just takes a long time to load and the problem re-occurs every time I try to edit a material.

thomasteger

Why would you move the materials? Does the freezing happen every time you open the library, or start a new session of KeyShot?

Ruckus

Quote from: Thomas Teger on October 17, 2013, 06:13:54 AM
Why would you move the materials? Does the freezing happen every time you open the library, or start a new session of KeyShot?
It froze the first time going into the material library, just after upgrading to 4.2.35.  I suspected that there was one or more of our customized materials that this new version of KS didn't like.  So I moved the materials out to allow KS to run normally, then when putting the materials back, it was easy to find which ones 4.2 didn't like.  Those few were deleted, and everthing is running fine now.

thomasteger

Were those some old materials? Can you send them to me?

rasmustp

Even if I remove all materials from my library I still have the same problem. As soon as I click on the material tab under Project, keyshot freezes (windows circle) and stays like this for about 10-20 seconds. Really annoying! Ruins my workflow completely...  :(

Claus Jensen

We have an option to remove the project materials view from the material edit tab ready in an update within a couple of weeks.

Speedster

I have a possibly related problem.  The Textures Tab shows the thumbnails, but not the 12 folders that I have placed them into.  And when I click on the Textures Tab, KS crashes, as was happening in the screenshot below.

I can access the textures directly from the materials tab (color, bump, etc.) as usual.

I mentioned this to Claus before, and since I had done an update to 4.2.35 I uninstalled it and did a clean install from the full download .exe.  I thought it was OK, but did not notice that the folders did not show up.

This is a weird issue to say the least!

Bill G

Claus Jensen

Ruckus

Quote from: Thomas Teger on October 17, 2013, 01:33:04 PM
Were those some old materials? Can you send them to me?
Sorry Thomas, I emptied the trash before reading this, but yes these were some old materials that have been getting carried along for couple/few versions.

thomasteger

Thanks for confirming, Ruckus. Probably some material based on the general material.