KS4.2.35 - Renders appear darker than real time window

Started by hansoej, October 24, 2013, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansoej

I am experiencing an issue that I have seen elsewhere on the forum but no solution that I've found -

Model looks great in realtime, placed 10 images in the queue - identical except for a single color change on the main body of the model. Hit process queue - renders 1 & 2 are perfect, but as I watched the queue process 3-10, they were much, much darker. Now if I try to process a single image (realtime still looks good, no performance mode or anything) even a single render appears significantly darker.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

hansoej

Interestingly, I closed the file and reopened to see if it would fix - and now the realtime render appears dark, identical to the renders.

thomasteger

PhilippeV8

I recently had the opposite.  I had a file with a 0 brightness hdri set up and 2 light sources.  After saving and closing, the next day my scene opened well overlit.  Had to reduce the light brightness from 1 to 0.01 to get it back to what it used to look like.
(KS4.0.74 / Point Light IES Profile)

Chad Holton

PhilippeV8

Not me, never used them.

I should read up on that in the manual soon to find out exactly what they are and what they do.

feher

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on October 24, 2013, 10:40:28 PM
I recently had the opposite.  I had a file with a 0 brightness hdri set up and 2 light sources.  After saving and closing, the next day my scene opened well overlit.  Had to reduce the light brightness from 1 to 0.01 to get it back to what it used to look like.
(KS4.0.74 / Point Light IES Profile)
Hi P
You need to set your model units. Go to preferences and click on model units. Find the one that makes the light the way you wanted it. You should be good after that.
Tim

jhiker

Seems like model units can have a huge influence on the environment, ground plane, lighting and texture maps but I must say I rarely alter this from the default 'none' because I don't really understand when it might be influential.

When I export a model from CAD (GeoMagic) as a KS 'bip' and open in KS should I routinely change the model units to match the CAD units?
Is 'model units' only relevant when you 'Import' a model?
Does KS take the units from the CAD model when you 'Import' a STP for instance?
I'm confused and I'd like to understand a bit better...  :)

I see it cropped up again in this  topic...
http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,6895.0.html

thomasteger

Geomagic Design fka Alibre is not exporting the file respecting the units from the CAD model. They have not updated their plugin with our latest API. For now, you would have to do this manually. NONE actually assumes a scale in Meters.