Heavy metal!

Started by alco3d, October 26, 2013, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alco3d

I've tried to post this topic before, but something go wrong, and moderator didn't leave my post.
I try to make my topic more shortly, than it was.
Ok. Recently I wanted to make my own metal material with advanced material. I noticed i can make metal by two different ways:
1) Fresnel -off, IOR-1, Specular - grey
2) Fresnel-on, IOR-max,Specular white
I didn't hear about Fresnel before. It became interesting to me, which method i must choose. I spent all day for the theory of light and the Fresnel effect. Now i know second way is right and more accuracy. Now i know what Fresnel is and how it behaves on model. But somewhat seems to me so strange.  While i searched somethink for this question i found this..

How you can see, Fresnel effect becomes more and more appreciable, step by step. But after IOR= 2,2 happens strange. Increase IOR is increase of the Reflection???
Please help! Somebody explain to me physic of this effect!
Thanks all!

thomasteger

IOR determines how the light refracts on the surface. A higher IOR yields in more reflection.

That's why we made KeyShot. So you don't have to tweak all these parameters. Just pick the metal material and you are done!

alco3d

Thomas
Thank you for response. Not difficult just use standard material. But i want completely to realise this feature, to understand behavior of a light in the sphere and on a surface. Maybe someone have a link?