Main Menu

close-up Door

Started by feher, December 28, 2013, 10:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Continuing with the close up theme. I went with the door area.
HDRI LightStudio
IES Lights for pop
Photoshop for some post.
Enjoy
Tim

Tiho Ramovic

Just WOW  :o
Texture work is amazing, even better than the real thing  8)

Chad Holton

Door handle may be a little hot, but other than that it's looking real sweet!

thomasteger

I had the same thoughts as Chad. Texture work is top notch as always.

DriesV

The textures are succulent!

Tim,
How do you typically resolve the high-contrast jagged edges, like seen on the 'hot' metallic door handle and venting grille?
I find those very hard to get rid of (even with high antialiasing settings). I sometimes use bloom to mask them, but that tends to soften the image...

Dries

feher

Chad you bring up a great point. After looking at this more I feel not only is the door handle blown out. I also lost the rich color of the interior. I did some tweaking I think this is working much better now.
Thanks

Dries,
There is a couple ways to handle the jagged edges.  I used number 6 on this image...lol
1. You could always path's them with a stroke in PS.
2. Use the blurr trick.
3. Darken your scene and render in 32 bit. In PS using a couple level, and exposure layers you can bring back the lighting at the same time reducing the jagged edges.
4. Do two renders one at your normal lighting and another darker and steal the piece you need from the darker render.
5. Render much bigger then what you need. That will reduce the jagged edges but increases render time.
6. Do nothing and hope no one notices...lol

I do not know if Keyshot can fix this. I think it's a problem in most rendering software's.

DriesV

Good tips, Tim!
I especially like the one about darkening the scene and working in 32 bit. ;)

Dries

thomasteger

Also when you increase the Anit-Aliasing parameter in the advanced render settings, please make sure to increase the samples as well.

feher

Quote from: Thomas Teger on December 30, 2013, 05:52:21 AM
Also when you increase the Anit-Aliasing parameter in the advanced render settings, please make sure to increase the samples as well.
You can do that too...lol Don't forget you can increase the Anti Aliasing past 8.
All these renders are done at 16 samples 16 ray bounces. I increase the samples on the materials instead of in the rendering options. I find the render times are quicker that way.
I'm too inpatient to increase my settings I don't like to wait...lol Keyshot has spoiled me.
Tim

EGON

I can relate. I use #6 all the time. Doesn't work to well around here, but in the real world "It's a keeper" (most of the time) How about them Broncos? Can you believe it?

evilmaul

Awesome work Tim, model, materials, lighting and all.

I do agree with you all about the aliasing problem in high contrastsy areas. I guess it's a known issue and that can be solved without having to crank up antialiasing settings that would otherwise work for the rest of the image. Been seeing it a way too often on the renders posted on the forum and I was going to make a college of images about the issue and open up a thread about it.

Cheers,
Marco

feher

Quote from: EGON on December 30, 2013, 02:20:11 PM
I can relate. I use #6 all the time. Doesn't work to well around here, but in the real world "It's a keeper" (most of the time) How about them Broncos? Can you believe it?
Thanks EGON
I'm bring back a old image between us. I did some updates to it...lol
Go Bronco's
Tim

feher

Quote from: evilmaul on December 31, 2013, 06:44:21 AM
Awesome work Tim, model, materials, lighting and all.

I do agree with you all about the aliasing problem in high contrastsy areas. I guess it's a known issue and that can be solved without having to crank up antialiasing settings that would otherwise work for the rest of the image. Been seeing it a way too often on the renders posted on the forum and I was going to make a college of images about the issue and open up a thread about it.

Cheers,
Marco
Thanks Marco !
Sounds like a plan to me. Let's get a topic on this and see where it goes.
I still like #6.....lol