rfa (BIM) conversion for import to KeyShot?

Started by Lenio, November 08, 2013, 07:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenio

Hi All,

I am attempting to build a workflow that utilizes existing BIM modeling of a potential client for import into KeyShot to render all product and replace the need for any product photography. However, judging from the lack of anything related to .rfa files, I'm beginning to think that a converter or direct import into KeyShot is not possible. Anyone have insight into a possible workflow?

Thanks!

Chad Holton

Try converting to DWG, DXF, STEP or IGES. All these file types will come into KeyShot.

Lenio

Thank you Chad -- next question -- can I do this with a converter, or do I need to actually have Revit to do a "save as"?

Chad Holton

No problem, Lenio. If you can do a "Save as" from Revit, then try that. Otherwise you'll have to find a 3rd party software to do the conversion.

Lenio

3rd party converter might be the path as I do not own Revit, and would not need it for anything but this. Any ideas on converters for the Mac that work well? Thanks again.

edwardo

Hi, rhino beta is free on mac and seems to open and save quite a few formats. Not sure about BIM files I'll check.

Lenio

Thanks for the suggestion Edwardo -- it appears though that Rhino3d does not have a native workflow for Revit files. I found documentation that describes how to export from Revit in any of a number files formats, but they all require actually having Revit. And as Revit is PC only, and I only have a Mac, I cannot make use of it.