Main Menu

November 22, 1963

Started by Speedster, November 22, 2013, 04:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Speedster

November 22, 1963

I was in my high school fourth period Senior Government class, third row, and second desk from the left facing the blackboard. It was just before the lunch bell.

The phone rang- Mr. Jones answered it, turned ashen and announced to the class that President John F. Kennedy had been assassinated in Dallas, Texas.  There was absolute stunned silence, followed by sobbing.  You see, our lesson that day was the Laws of Succession of Power in the United States government.

A few minutes later the phone rang again, but it was the principle asking me, as Stage Manager, to please prepare the auditorium for full assembly, which we had never had as the auditorium was small and would not really seat the full student body.  The principle told me "do what you have to and to hell with the fire marshal".

My crew and I placed chairs on stage, in the orchestra pit and in the aisles, and set up the lights and sound system in the booth.  We did not have a TV at school, so I patched the local news station into the PA system.  We never had lunch, as we worked through lunch period, and didn't care about food anyway.

And so we all spent the rest of school day on November 22, 1963 together, forever etched in our memories...

Bill G

jhiker

Granada TV here in Manchester scooped the rest of the UK by reporting this in 'Scene at 6.30' - I well remember the drama. Even as an 8-year old I knew something important had gone down.
Those pictures of the motorcade, along with the '69  moon landings and the Twin Towers attack are the most dramatic moments I've seen on TV and I'll remember them forever.

Josh3D

It's somber weather here today in Dallas to match the occasion. Cool to hear your story on the day Bill.

feher

Hi Bill

A very sad day in American history.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Tim