Main Menu

Material test box

Started by DriesV, November 13, 2013, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

A little work on the red glass material may yield candy apple or toffee apple as we call 'em in the UK

DriesV

I didn't add all these different physical lights (5 area light panels, 2 emissive rings, 6 point lights) for no reason.
Here's a little tip for a relighting technique in post using 32 bit images that I've been using more extensively lately. It really shows the benefit of working with physical lights.
Some of you CG veterans are probably familiar with this approach from other packages...

Here's a rundown of my process:

• Set up your scene in KeyShot with all your lights enabled. Tweak your lights until you reach the sweet spot for your beauty shot. This will be the starting point.
  • Make individual renderings for every light source in your scene. E.g. If you have 2 area lights, make a 32 bit (EXR) rendering with only one light enabled and make another with the other light enabled. Do as many renders as you have lights ('light types') in your scene. Render out those individual lights that you want to be able to control in post. Remember to render to a 32 bit image!
  • For the above using the render queue can significantly speed up/improve workflow.
  • Import all your finished EXR's into a 32 bit capable image editor (Photoshop) and put them as layers in one document (TIP for Photoshop: File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack...).
  • For each layer, set blending mode to 'Linear Dodge (Add)'.
  • Add Adjustment Layers for each image layer. I suggest -at least- 'Exposure' (light brightness control) and 'Hue/Saturation' (light color control) for each layer. It's also a good idea to add a few global Adjustment Layers on top to control the image as a whole.
  • I suggest putting an image layer and its corresponding adjustment layers in a folder, so lights can be easily toggled on/off with visibility of the folder.
  • Play with visibility of light, brightness of lights, hue/saturation of lights, global adjustments... The range of images and lighting variations you can achieve is really quite astonishing.
  • With all light layers enabled, the result will pretty much look like your beauty shot in KeyShot.
This is a really powerful and flexible way of working with KeyShot's physical lights.

I attached a sample PSD working document with one of the scenes I posted above. Have fun experimenting!

DOWNLOAD LINK - PHOTOSHOP WORKING DOC

Dries

DriesV

So... maybe the time is right to post a feature request. ;)

Light layers
An option where the contribution of specified lights (area light, point light or IES light) can be rendered out to separate 32 bit images.
When 'Light layers' are enabled in 'Render settings', you can pick (realtime view, scene tree) any number of lights (or light sets) that you want to separate.

Just a quick thought...

Dries

DriesV

Here's another lighting variation based on the same PSD.

Dries

LeoScout

DriesV, I had planned to register for quiet some time now, but I never find the time to do so, but with this thread I really had to do so, just to thank you. I am wholeheartedly thankful for your share. I just wanted to say thank you, this technique  is really interesting and useful.

diamond

Quote from: DriesV on November 18, 2013, 04:07:51 AM

Dries
Very Nice!  Would jewelry renders look good in these boxes?

Speedster

Sheesh-simply amazing!  Now, with a clown or full clown pass of the entire central model, you should be able to strip out the box and lights to create some really awesome images!

Thanks so much for sharing your tips!

Bill G

DriesV

Glad you see some use for it! ;) It sure is a very powerful way to play with lighting...
Have to say, these techniques are not new. I've seen them being used before, just not with KeyShot.

Dries

DriesV

Quote from: diamond on November 18, 2013, 06:36:47 AM

Dries

If you can provide me a piece of jewelry, I'd be happy to try it out for you. ;)

Dries

diamond

Quote from: DriesV on November 18, 2013, 11:16:37 AM
Quote from: diamond on November 18, 2013, 06:36:47 AM

Dries

If you can provide me a piece of jewelry, I'd be happy to try it out for you. ;)

Dries

Here is the ring I uploaded in the past. Best of luck!

DriesV

I've been playing with those diamonds for a bit. Had quite some fun! :)
It seems that using a 'studio box' and some area lights is a great way to mimic some of the HDR pin light qualities. So for those with a non-Pro KeyShot license this might be a good solution to control lighting on jewelry.

Here's a download link to a PSD with all layers set and done for you to tweak. I had the same approach as with the blob scene.
DOWNLOAD LINK - Rings PHOTOSHOP WORKING DOC

Dries

TpwUK

Izayoi

thanks for sharing your tips
i'm always impressed by your work

diamond

It looks great. Thanks for all your help!

Ed

Dries - The ring turned out very nice and the PS layers are interesting to experiment with.

Did you already publish the test box BIP?   If not, I'll build my own.

Thank you for always experimenting and pushing the limits!

Ed