shooting my own environments...

Started by edwardo, June 10, 2013, 07:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

Hello,
I'v just bought myself a Nodal Ninja NNP head and a lovely Sigma 10-20 lens and started shooting my own pano's. Time consuming, but fun, and eventually I hope to sell these online at a very reasonable price (around the 10-15 dollar/euro mark inc some backplates).

I'v just shot my first test environment, outputting an 8000x4000 pixel equirectangular hrd. I dropped it into Keyshot and added a few pins then saved it. I noticed that the original HDR is 90mb, whereas the HDZ file is 256mb! Is this normal?

I was also a bit disappointed to realise that I can ONLY output HDZ format from keyshot - ideally I want to invest in 'HDRlight studio' to tweak the environments, but at the moment i enjoy the built in editor due to its real time tweaking abilities (I'm on a mac which doesn't support live linking between light studio and keyshot). I guess my question is: are there any plans to support live linking on the mac (or is this in the hands of Lightmap Lmt?). OR, is there any likely hood Luxion will allow HDR or EXR files to be output from keyshot in the future? I understand, however, why you might not want to do this.

Lastly, any suggestions about what type of environments would be useful will be gratefully received. Eventually I hope to be able to produce environments 'to order' (logistics permitting). 90percent of whats available seems to be geared towards the automotive world, with a distinct lack of good interior environments suitable for products. My aim is to build a well balanced catalogue of HDR plus backplate sets.

So please, let me know what the masses want!

Thanks
Ed

bn86

Just seen this post and totally agree - I can't find anything decent out there for products! As you say, it all seems to be for automotive applications and although some of them are mouthwateringly good (moofe, etc) they just aren't suitable for products. Have you found any?

As for a suggestion of the type of environments I'd love:
You know those lovely interior renderings you see on architectural visualisation sites? Loft conversions with designer furniture and peeling wallpaper, beautiful kitchens with wooden floors, etc. Those kinds of environments would be great for rendering products. You could put the product on the floor by the wall, on an old crate or on a table in the middle of the room, etc. There are some nice ideas for good looking rooms on houzz.com

Let me know if you have anything available for sale..

Thanks