3D packaging texturing

Started by brain_death, November 20, 2013, 12:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brain_death

hello!

first a short introduction: i am a packaging designer at a company in austria. i have been given the task to render future projects in 3D for certain customers. unfortunately i am absolutely not into 3D programs. i CAN make pretty good looking mockups with the 3D tool in illustrator and post process them in photoshop. but i am not 100% happy with the results. thats why i googled for a easy to use (cause i am a 3D newbie) 3D rendering program.

well, i stumbled upon sketchup for modeling and keyshot for rendering. sketchup is awesome. extremely simple to use and i am now able to model current or future packaging designs without a hazzle.

now to the rendering: i am able to import the 3D model from sketchup but where i do have problems is the texturing. as i said, i am a packaging designer. i have 2D die cuts for the actual packaging.

you can please help me how to best apply these textures on my 3D scene in keyshot? i googled around but haven't found a good tutorial for these. each tut only explains the texturing of single objects. but not how to wrap around a 2D artwork on a 3D model.

if i apply my 2D screenshot from the diecut on the 3D box it is separately on each side. that is not what i want :( is there a good tutorial for this purpose?

thank you very, very much for every input! and sry for my not so perfect english :P

best from austria!

Chad Holton

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are you able to apply the textures in sketchup? Also, would you be able to share a screenshot of what you have in KeyShot so far?

Thanks,
Chad