Moving files from one workstation to the next

Started by PhilippeV8, November 24, 2013, 11:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Ok, so I received my new workstation and I had to move all my data from one hdd to the new one.  Now when I open a bip, it has lost all textures ... how can I fix that ?

Don't tell my I should have saved ALL my files on the old workstation as KSP's then open all those KSP's on my new workstation ... (the old WS is gone by now)

PhilippeV8

Ah ... I'm almost there .. I set up the correct folders under preferences ...  :D

Chad Holton

You got it!  ;) You're probably aware of this, but you can have multiple search paths for textures as well as other resources.

PhilippeV8

Yeah, my current workflow is a lot more healthy in that respect.
Instead of using the folders under "Keyshot3" and "Keyshot4", I now have separate folders "Shared Textures" and "Shared Backplates" and "Shared Environements" etc etc ...  When moving on to a new version of KS, all I have to do is point to that folder.  Only now with some older files and materials in the library, the textures are still in "all over the place" folders ...

jhiker

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on November 25, 2013, 06:00:26 AM
Yeah, my current workflow is a lot more healthy in that respect.
Instead of using the folders under "Keyshot3" and "Keyshot4", I now have separate folders "Shared Textures" and "Shared Backplates" and "Shared Environements" etc etc ...  When moving on to a new version of KS, all I have to do is point to that folder.  Only now with some older files and materials in the library, the textures are still in "all over the place" folders ...
That's similar to my set-up - a 'basic' KS installation and 'shared' resources' folders.
Incidentally, I use 'Freefilesync' to copy any new scenes/materials and what-have-you to the 'shared resources' folders. Once you have generated the folder pairs to compare and synchronise it will generate a batch file shortcut that sits on the desktop.
Double-click and it updates all the shared stuff - easy!