Myler material (non-perfect chrome)

Started by Pepster3D, November 26, 2013, 06:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepster3D

Hiya,
I need to create (today!) a building covered in a myler type material.  It will be like reflective chrome but with a non-perfect surface with a little bit of warped reflection.  Any chance of doing this in Keyshot?  Or do you think I need to add some noise to my model before importing into keyshot?  I was hoping to alter it in the material itself. 

Thanks,
Darlene O.

Chad Holton

Hello,

I would start off with a smooth chrome (adjust color, if needed) and then use a noise texture (under procedurals) and scale the bump height and overall texture scale to your liking. Here's what I ended up with (after a very quick shot at it):

Pepster3D

Yeah, that looks good!  So you put the noise texture in your bump map only?

Chad Holton

And if that's too smooth, just add a little roughness under the chrome's properties (and a maybe bump the samples up a bit under the roughness slider (click the little arrow)). Here the same image with a little roughness applied:

Chad Holton

Quote from: Pepster3D on November 26, 2013, 06:54:18 AM
Yeah, that looks good!  So you put the noise texture in your bump map only?

Thanks! Right, just used the procedural "Noise (Texture)" option under the bump and cranked up the scale of each to give it a wavy look. And the latest image, I bumped up the roughness option under the materials properties to create a little less reflective look. Let me know if you need the BIP file or anything.

Pepster3D