Main Menu

Material Pedestal

Started by abedsabeh, November 28, 2013, 03:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abedsabeh

Hi guys,

I've been testing out this pedestal with some new materials/textures that I've created in the past. I also created the scene /HDRI, and added few area lights, one behind the pedestal and 4 on top of it. I tuned the scene as much as I can to get a pure subtle white as you can see it in the render. I will share the .bip file with you once I am satisfied. I hope you like it.

Abed

Speedster

You're amazing!  That's the first "real" white I've seen (and I've tried it many times) yet.  I do hope you share it!

Many, many years ago, in high school stage class, I was Stage Manager and we were painting a set very late the night before opening.  The director and our principal came in and saw how far we had to go to be ready for opening night.  My stage teacher and I were on top of 20 foot ladders, working away.  The director made some comment like "you'll never make it, and it looks awful". 

My teacher responded:  "We never show unfinished work to fools and children".  (Don't ever say that to your boss or client!).

I have never forgotten his advice!  But this does NOT look awful!  It's a milestone.

Bill G

Ed

Nice work Abed - and thanks for offering to share.

Which reminds me - when is KeyShot going to set up a material sharing database?  Other (cough... cough...) companies have them.

Ed

TpwUK

Very nice work Abed - I like playing with materials tester objects too, but not managed to get a result like yours, well done

Martin

feher

Abed,
These look GREAT ! That white is perfect. The lighting is key when it comes to white materials.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

abedsabeh

Thank you guys! Here are some more renders and I think I am satisfied now.  :) 

Please feel free to use this package, and I would love to see your creation.
Follow the steps below during the process of creating your material to get a better result.

1- In the .bip file you will find 3 folders.
a- The scene folder (floor and area lights)
b- The Material pedestal (general)
c- The Material Fabric Pedestal (clothes, silk, leather...etc).

2- Use the UV coordinates so your material will scale properly on the model (the UVs maps were set in advance in Maya 3D).

Please keep the settings of the HDRI and the lights as they are for a better result. I worked hard on producing a nice subtle white. (you might experiment your own lighting too if you are curious, if you want to play around)  :)

Have fun and please let me know if the .ksp is complete.

Note: Please do not sell, distribute or use this model for any commercial purposes. ;)

I will also be sharing with you some of the materials/textures that I will be creating in my free time.

Please I want your feedback.

Thanks,
Abed

The below file will be deleted from "wetransfer" on 7 December, 2013.

Download link
http://we.tl/VRBvvMhYa7

feher

Thanks a bunch Abed,
This is very kind of you. You bet I'll throw a few up.
I just want to add while these material sample are great it does come down to the lighting environment. For example the white material looks perfect for this lighting. but if someone uses it in another scene it will need to be tweaked. This is why I create all my materials from scratch with every job/image.
Tim

abedsabeh

Quote from: feher on November 30, 2013, 03:51:10 PM
Thanks a bunch Abed,
This is very kind of you. You bet I'll throw a few up.
I just want to add while these material sample are great it does come down to the lighting environment. For example the white material looks perfect for this lighting. but if someone uses it in another scene it will need to be tweaked. This is why I create all my materials from scratch with every job/image.
Tim

You are welcome Tim! And yes, I agree with you. The benefit of the material pedestal is to create your material in a normal atmosphere for an easy access on controlling the bumps, textures and other usage. It is easier to tweak it once you have the material created. This is the most important thing to do first. I always prepare my materials before applying them into my model. Good material ends up with a great render.

Abed

DriesV

Really nice test model, Abed! Very 'shareable'. ;)
However, I must say that some of those materials would really benefit from some displacement mapping...

Dries

Josh3D

Thanks for sharing Abed. These look great!