Main Menu

A new user

Started by gabrielefx, January 17, 2014, 02:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielefx

Hi all
a dear friend of mine Marco Di Lucca told me to test Keyshot. I did it.

I'm a Vray and Octane user since the first betas of these two software were released.
With Vray I create large archviz projects (masterplans), with Octane only interiors.

After having tested Keyshot I said "wow". My 12 gpus are almost useless compared to the Keyshot's speed.
I would like to purchase Keyshot but I want to understand if it can stay between Vray and Octane, no matter what is the processor used by the engine.
I do product design renders also, then Keyshot is perfect.

I would like to know what is the future of Keyshot.
For sure I need a sun system, instances and a mix material node to mix two materials with a mask.
I tried to create an emitting glossy tv panel without success, there is no material that supports glossy emitters. I tried to use a label but it ovelaps and hasn't a glossy parameter, but probably I'm wrong.
I will check in the deep every single Keyshot feature to understand if its ok for me.

Regarding the price I can say that the Pro version plus one network license plus the anim feature is $4000,00 about, I think a little bit overpriced, but It's only a my opinion.

I don't know if you (engineers) will adopt gpus in the future or you will embed network rendering inside
Keyshot. I read I need a second external software to do distribute renders.

Keyshot it's a miracle of software engineering that's why is stunning, sometime I can't believe how much is fast.

Best regards

thomasteger

Hi Gabriele,

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as your questions go:
- I'm not sure what you mean by "if it can stay between Vray and Octane". KeyShot doesn't interfere with any installed software, if that's your concern.
- As far as the future goes, a sun system, instances and a mix material mode are planned for KeyShot 5
- You can create glossy TV panels, using various approaches. A label can be made glossy by changing the specular color to white and then changing the IOR. Or you duplicate a surface, offset it slightly, and apply a glass material. The screen itself can be an emissive material with a texture.
- The price for KeyShot Pro plus animation is $2,495. You can move the license from one computer to another.
- We have no plans to adopt GPUs in the near future, but we always keep our eyes open to see what's possible, and what makes sense for us.
- We have network rendering. Available in 32 core increments the cost is $480 per year for 32 cores. It doesn't require additional licenses of KeyShot.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions. You can e-mail me at thomas@luxion.com

Best regards,

Thomas

evilmaul

:) glad to have you here Gabriele! and to hear that you got hooked up with Keyshot.
Post your renders whenever you get a chance :)

Marco