Need Label Material Properties

Started by jsternth, August 06, 2010, 08:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsternth

Please let me know if I am missing something, but labels dont seem to have any material properties other than intensity?  For example - lets say i am applying a label to a plastic cyllinder, that label is supposed to be a glossy sticker.  In KeyShot, the labels do not take on any environmental reflections and there is no way to adjust glossiness.  They look like they were just pasted on almost over the rendering.  Is there any way or any plans to be able to add some label material properties?

KeyShot

It is correct that labels are currently diffuse. The label is actual an advanced material and we do have plans to expose those options. We are looking for a way to do this without cluttering the interface. Suggestions are welcome. Initially we may simply add the ability to make the labels specular and glossy with the label texture still controlling the diffuse color as it does now.

-- Henrik

m2tts

I would like the Decal to be able to take on any material qualities. Give it a material drop-down box and the same interface as the appropriate material. It's essentially layering materials, which would be great to do anyway.

KeyShot

This could be an option. We are trying not to make the label process to complex. Another idea would be to expose a general method for layering materials. Under the hood KeyShot supports full shading trees, and we are planning to expose this functionality over time, but in a way that will make it easy to use.

-- Henrik

m2tts

Here is a previous post I made about how to handle labels in a logical manner (for us creating images from cad programs anyway (we are working within a workflow geared to actual production of real parts)). I believe that under this scene tree scenario, if the labels are treated as their own unique entities, using a material dialogue to handle how they look may take away confusion caused by material layering.

Quote from: m2tts on July 22, 2010, 11:21:03 AM
Currently the scene list is a list of materials (the objects imported have some default material names on import). Ideally, the scene list should hold object names; names which describe what the parts are (preferably taken right from the file names in the case of a Solid Works import). Material assignments should happen to the parts via a grouping method. For instance: if you link parts to have the same material assignment, the material name can become a group node name with the objects assigned that material in a list under it. This would mean being able to dynamically grab the names of objects in the list and drag them under a material group in the scene list.

Labels would no longer be associated with materials, but with objects. So a scene tree might be arranged like this:

Model (renameable)
      Brushed Aluminum
         Speaker Grill

Black Plastic
         Baffle
         Rear Housing
         Top Housing

Grey Soft Touch
         Control Panel
            Label (buttons.tif)
            Label (logo.tif)
         Feet

High Gloss Black
         Trim
         Badge
            Label (logo big.tif)

Here the materials are the Groups with parts under them. To modify a label placement, you edit the part, not the material.

jsternth

Ok, thanks for the information.  Hopefully this will be added shortly as the current look is just not adequate.

Richman

Yes this is needed!

Decals are used for the "laser etched" look on anodized aluminum parts.  It would be great to set these labels to aluminum material. As of now the look is faked with white colored labels, but I would like to be more accurate.

Please have decals automatically assume the material it is placed on, or have a check box to disable matching/syncing and then expose more material options.

Admin

The next update will include a specular color and ior for labels. Right now labels are mapped to the advanced material, but under the hood this can be replaced with any other material. We are thinking about how this should be realized in the user interface.

In terms of organizing materials and labels then I fully agree, and this is something we are working towards.

-- Henrik

Richman

You could have a drag/drop materials on labels...?  Prompting a choice to maintain texture and adopt the material properties. Or toggle texture on the label menu.  That way eliminating material choices.   Just some thoughts..