Where is my Mapping Tool?

Started by imfastrnu2, December 06, 2013, 05:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alco3d

Seems i solved this issue accidentally. I had problem with pair of label images, and today i tried to apply other image. Wonderfully, but mapping tool began working in both version. Before, i tried reinstalling KS, firewall setting, but all of this didn't help me. Just one changing of image solved this problem and now i can use any images.
PS I notice one thing: when you click on "Mapping tool" first time, on screen for one sec. appear small window, may be that is starting some plugin or component KS ,and issue in that.

mcramblet

I'm going to post this here as well:

Ok, I've had problems with the cylinder mapping tool for a long time. I was using KS via Bootcamp on a Mac, so I never pushed the issue, figuring it was something related to that screwed-up method of running Windows. But now I'm on a true Windows machine, a very good machine and video card and I've upgraded to version 5. The very first time I go to use the cylinder mapping, I get the same results as before, the mapping widget doesn't show up!!! I click on the mapping tool button and the widget is supposed to show up, right? It doesn't for me, I get nothing. The button turns blue, like it's active, but nothing shows up in the modeling window. Is there any solution to this issue?

Rex

macramblet,

If you dolly out does the mapping tool come into view? Can you please send the file to rex@luxion.com via keyshot.wetransfer.com? It's working fine for me:

mcramblet

Nope, zoomed out makes no difference. I'll send the file, but I've had this same thing with multiple files. It hasn't worked for me for some time, so I gave up on it and have been applying these types of labels in Rhino instead.

Rex

That is quite strange. I can see the mapping tool perfectly fine with your file on my computer. So let's go through the checklist to narrow down the problem.

- can you see the move tool widget when you move a part?
- are your windows drivers, video card driver up to date?
- have you tried restarting your computer?
- have you tried re-installing KeyShot?
- if you use edit>add geometry to import a primitive does the mapping tool show?

mcramblet

-I haven't ever had an issue seeing the move tool widget. That shows up and works every time, for moving objects.
-Everything is up to date on, Windows, drivers, video card drivers, BIOS, etc.
-Restarting has no effect on the issue.
-I've tried re-installing on my previous machine, which didn't have any effect. I haven't tried it on my new machine, as 4.3 and then version 5 were brand new installs.
I've tested the edit>add geometry to a new, empty KS scene and the mapping tool widget, again doesn't show up.

mcramblet

From a programing standpoint, is it possible that there could be a display limitation/issue with KS? I remember having an issue similar to this with a plug-in in Rhino. After working with them, it turns out that my display (an Apple Cinema Display) and the window size I was using in Rhino exceeded what the plug-in was expecting and things wouldn't show up as expected. If I resized my windows (smaller), it would work fine. I just did a test with KS. I normally always have my resolution set at 1280x720 (with lock aspect and resolution checked), and the KS window is typically full screen. I started resizing the windows, making the KS window and the render window smaller. Suddenly, the mapping tool widget starts showing up. I've tried playing with some things to see if I can narrow down exactly what the combination is that keeps the mapping widget from showing up. I haven't narrowed that down, though, in testing, sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't. It definitely did not and would not show up, until I started playing around with window sizes, all smaller than what I've left them set a before. Could display size have anything to do with it?

Rex

Do you have another display that you can hook up to test with to see if this is the problem?

Hellborn

Has this problem been solved?

I'm currently evaluating KS5 in order to figure out if I will buy the zBrush version when it is to be released.

I have the same problem with the Mapping Button.

Like others, when i click the Mapping Tool button and it gets blue I won't get the on screen mapping tool or the menu supposed to be at the bottom of the screen.
This goes for both textures and labels.
Tried both Box,Spherical and Cylindrical modes.

If I select the object and goes to position and select Move Tool I get that tool and menu.

I have latest drivers.

Hellborn

Tried to disable antivirus in case it blocks something but it made no difference.

Got bored an started to apply different materials just to get a look at them.

Tried some steel with holes in it and got the idea to try if a default material with mapping would work and it did!

Then I changed them to some random images and they worked as well.

Also tried one of the big 8192x8192 sized maps i used when it did not work, and the worked as a charm.

So, for the moment it works but as I don't know what broke it before, I don't now for how long.