Main Menu

Classroom interior

Started by DriesV, December 08, 2013, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Just playing with a classic interior rendering test scene.

Dries

fario

DriesV

Antoine, for lighting I used:
Completely black HDRI with a tiny (radius '2') very bright pin light. This is the sun.
I then put area lights in front of the windows to simulate sky lighting.

This is using KeyShot 4.3.

Dries

fario

slater

DriesV

Quote from: slater on December 09, 2013, 12:49:40 AM
And the scene come from??

Can't remember. Thought I grabbed it from the modo forums as an LXO scene and then converted it to OBJ...

Anyway, I attached a ksp in case you want to give it a go.

Regards,
Dries

PhilippeV8

Thnx for sharing this .. I did take a close look but I can't find no gold-fish in those pendant aquariums ...  ;)

DriesV

Here's a realtime screenshot after 1 hour rendering on a dual Xeon E5-2680 (32 logical cores).

Pretty decent I'd say. :)

Dries

rfollett

Can I ask a silly question? Why bother with the "Completely black HDRI with a tiny (radius '2') very bright pin light. This is the sun" ?

What does this add if it is a closed room with lights on windows?

Thanks Dries

DriesV

Here's another more resolved shot.

Dries

DriesV

Quote from: rfollett on December 09, 2013, 05:05:11 AM
Can I ask a silly question? Why bother with the "Completely black HDRI with a tiny (radius '2') very bright pin light. This is the sun" ?

Thanks Dries

There's no such thing as silly questions, only silly answers. So let's hope my answer isn't silly. ;D

If you use either the area lights or pin light HDRI on its own, the image doesn't look very natural.
With only the area lights active, you only get ambient light (sky). The image feels like there is no direct sun light at all.
With only the pin light HDRI active, you only get harsh light and shadows (sun). The image feels like the sky is pitch black (like in outer space).
I hope attached images help in explaining.

You still have to eyeball and tweak the brightness/color of the sun/sky, but you can get pretty decent results.

Dries

edwardo

QuoteCan I ask a silly question? Why bother with the "Completely black HDRI with a tiny (radius '2') very bright pin light. This is the sun" ?

Hi rfollette,

Any interior image tends to be 'shot' on a sunny, appealing day and thus have fairly hard shadows - it makes for a much nicer, more dramatic shot. The pin light Dries spoke of provides those hard shadows. If that was the only lighting it would be too harsh with a very high contrast. Adding area lights just outside the windows provides an ambient light to soften the image (and as dries said simulates 'sky light', a more diffuse light caused by cloud cover etc). The two work together to create a more natural feel. Perhaps if Dries is feeling generous he could post an image of the scene with only the HDR, then one with only the area light - I'm pretty sure you would understand the setup if you saw the difference of each image.

I don't get much call for interior shots, but never the less I'd quite like to put together a tutorial someday when I get the time ( I say 'tutorial' but really just mean share my results from some experimenting. I'm seeing more and more interest from keyshot users regarding interiors, so I'm hoping some functionality is added in the near future to cater for these users.... but of course retaining key shots intuitive interface. I have a dream... and that dream is to live in a world free of v-Ray (and proE for that matter)

Ed

edwardo

Sorry, just realised that Dries has answered that (and more eloquently tham me).

Ps. Nice one Dries, these are nice shots, and help push keyshot interiors forwards. Your scene is just missing one thing.... me, being kept back in detention doing my lines on the blackboard ala Bart Simpson.

rfollett

Thank you both for your detailed replies.

fario

QuoteI don't get much call for interior shots, but never the less I'd quite like to put together a tutorial someday when I get the time ( I say 'tutorial' but really just mean share my results from some experimenting. I'm seeing more and more interest from keyshot users regarding interiors, so I'm hoping some functionality is added in the near future to cater for these users.... but of course retaining key shots intuitive interface. I have a dream... and that dream is to live in a world free of v-Ray (and proE for that matter)

+1
+10
+100