area diffuse light not working with glass

Started by jeffw, December 09, 2013, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffw

I am trying to simulate a gas fire glow using an area light. The center post of this equipment has a gas flame in
real life and a glass door in front of it. I made a cylindrical shape around it and put a colored areal light material set to 2 watts on it to simulate the flame glow. There are two problems.
1. When the glass door is shown the area light becomes visible even though it is set to not show to the camera. When the glass door is hidden the area light is also properly not shown.
2. The intensity is too bright. When I reduce the intensity (to .5 watts) it changes the color of the light.

I have tried using both glass and solid glass with two sided checked and unchecked. No difference.

Any ideas?

TpwUK

Have you tried creating a 3d tear drop shape for the flame and then setting it to be an emitter ?

Martin

jeffw

No I have not tried that. I guess I don't see why a light source material should be shape dependent .

I did try changing the material of my existing shape to emmisive. It had the same result. The shape
shows when the glass is showing and the color changes when the intensity is lowered. This seems
like a bug to me.