Specify KeyShot materials in Creo model

Started by ajohnson, December 12, 2013, 11:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajohnson

I've been looking around to see if this is possible but can't find anything. The most time-consuming part of using Keyshot is reassigning a material to every single part. If I could give the part materials in Creo a specific name or value and then have KeyShot assign its own material from that, that would make things a lot easier for me. If anyone has suggestions for how to do this they would be greatly appreciated.

richardfunnell

You're looking for the functionality of our material templates, which can be found under the "View" menu.

We have a video tutorial for this topic which should give you an idea for the overall concept:

http://youtu.be/ViVxWFRQV34

The video a little out of date, but the concept is still the same. Hope this helps!

itsterril

I have been playing with this... and it is really cool. However there is a problem...

I have made a pallet of materials in Creo that we use all the time for our models. When I import the file into Keyshot (plugin or opening it in Keyshot), the materials name scheme applies the part name in front of the color name. It is not using the shader name from Creo.  Any thoughts?

here is an example:

Creo shader name:  black_hose_rubber
Creo part name: part01.prt

imported into keyshot, the scene tree:

models: part01
materials: part01:color:27:27:27  (it should be "black_hose_rubber)

otherwise each part will have its own specific name.

Help please.

ajohnson

That is almost exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

itsterril

this does the same thing when i import from a .jt file as well.

itsterril

how do other CAD software handle this?  is it just ProE that can not carry over the material name?

Chad Holton

Quote from: itsterril on December 13, 2013, 07:19:06 AM
I have been playing with this... and it is really cool. However there is a problem...

I have made a pallet of materials in Creo that we use all the time for our models. When I import the file into Keyshot (plugin or opening it in Keyshot), the materials name scheme applies the part name in front of the color name. It is not using the shader name from Creo.  Any thoughts?

here is an example:

Creo shader name:  black_hose_rubber
Creo part name: part01.prt

imported into keyshot, the scene tree:

models: part01
materials: part01:color:27:27:27  (it should be "black_hose_rubber)

otherwise each part will have its own specific name.

Help please.

Hi Terril,

Have you tried using the RGB value instead of the shader name, when creating a material template? Using your example above, instead of using "black_hose_rubber" use *27:27:27* when creating the material template. I'll have to ask the development team for sure, but I assume since the surfaces are separated by colors, and since shaders can be the same RGB value, that the RGB value would need to be used instead so there's no confusion.

Chad