License Borrowing

Started by bastiaanvanasch, December 19, 2013, 01:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bastiaanvanasch

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how license borrowing in Keyshot Pro FL works, but I don't get it. We have a license in the office that is floating, it works fine. Just like the manual is saying, I can click on "Borrow floating license" and enter the date but then nothing happens. How can I tell Keyshot on the other computer to use that license? Is there a file or some kind of password I need?

Thanks for your help!

Claus Jensen

Not sure what you mean by KeyShot on the  other computer.
You should use borrow from the machine you want to bring somewhere. I.e. use your laptop to borrow a license for a day and then continue to work disconnected from the network and then return the license when you return to the office to release it for others.

Also make sure your floating license file contains the BORROW keywork. Some companies/institutions don't allow to borrow a license.

I hope that makes sense?

bastiaanvanasch

Thanks for your quick answer!

So what I need to do is:

connect a computer to the network
borrow the license and indicate the date
disconnect the computer

did I get that right?

I was wondering if there is a way to borrow the license without moving physically the computer? I suppose not....

Chad Holton

You will only need to borrow the license if you're leaving the network the license server is connected to - in most cases this is used when traveling using a laptop and need access to KeyShot. Are you trying to hook up your home computer to the floating license or something of that nature?

bastiaanvanasch

Yes, any chance i can do this by connecting to the computer in the office that holds the license? How would that work?

thomasteger

You need to be able to grab a license from the server via VPN. FlexLM, the licensing system that we use, allows you to do that.