Main Menu

Panthera aircraft

Started by Tiho Ramovic, December 27, 2013, 09:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiho Ramovic

Hello guys, long time since my last post here. Because of my new job I had a little time to spend playing wit KS :(
Now I finaly got some time to spare and  I see very interesting stuff here :) spent an hour just admiring on some work you guys posted lately.
Here are the first renders, after quite some time, of an Panthera aircraft Ive made in solidworks and rendered, ofcourse, in KS. Ive also uploaded it on GrabCAD, so feel free to render it some more ;)

https://grabcad.com/library/pipistrel-panthera-airplane-1

TpwUK

Tiho Ramovic

Josh3D

Very nice. The detail is incredible. The renderings are SUPERB!

Speedster

SolidWorks???  Good God!  Man, that is superb modeling- do you give lessons in surfacing?  Oh, and the renderings are beautiful!
Bill G

Tiho Ramovic

Thank you Josh, really nice to hear it since this was my first taste of KS after loong time :)

Thank you very much Bill, always loved your work, you wouldnt believe how much easier was this plane to make in solidworks compared to your models, I assume. Actually, fuselage of this plane (without wings) was made some time ago in one night for  contest isued by plane manufacturer (they gave us pretty good blueprints of actual plane) and it was done with 5 or 6 planar sketches and one lofted surface. Only recently Ive added some more details like landing gear and pitot tubes on wings, nothing special.

feher

WOW ! Great modeling buddy. The paint on the plane is excellent. I think what is missing is a ground shadow. You need something to really set the plane in the scene.
Other then that really nice job all around !
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

DriesV

Awesome model and renders!
@Bill:
Creating the fuselage, wing and other major surfaces cleanly should be pretty straightforward in SolidWorks. Where the fun (*sarcasm mode*) really starts in SolidWorks is when trying to create smooth blends (G2) between those surfaces. Sometimes (for whatever reason...) SolidWorks won't let you create curvature continuous surface transitions and when it does those transition surfaces often look wobbly/bumpy/spiky/....
In those situations -when lofts, sweeps, boundary surfaces all fail miserably- a fill surfaces often does the best job. I think it's funny that Fill Surface is one of the most powerful surface commands in SolidWorks, but can really only be used to patch up N-sided (3, 4, 5 or more edges) gaps or as a last call substitute when other commands fail. :)
What do you guys think?

Dries

PhilippeV8

Tiho Ramovic

Exactly as Dries said, filled surface tool is unavoidable when working with surfaces in Solidworks, on this model it was used maybe 2 or 3 times on some transitions near the wing tips. Sometimes fixing problematic geometry can be frustrating task but in most cases filled surface tool saved the day for me :)

Chad Holton

Welcome back - great modeling and renderings!  8)

Tiho Ramovic

Thank you Chad on your kind words. It is good to be back :)